Thursday, May 3, 2012

April results.

Our tenth straight month of year over year increases. Except for two months during this period that barely beat the previous year, all the rest have been double digit increases, indeed most of them over 20%. This month we were 25% over.

I attribute this mostly to being fully stocked. It's a virtuous cycle -- good sales allow me to carry the good material which result in good sales.

Traditionally, mid-April to mid-June are off season and slow, but there are some things happening that I'm hoping will overcome that this year.



COMICS: Comics are still seeing increases, in this case 21%, even though the New 52 continue to fall off, trending back to the median. But I think they gave the whole industry a boost that is still happening. The Avengers movies probably won't result in increased sales (though I sold some Avengers graphic novels yesterday) but combined with the Free Comic Book Day this weekend, I hope they'll spark some interest.

USED BOOKS: I just started separating these from overall book sales. Continue to surprise me in that they only account for 15% of books sales.

SPORTS CARDS: Down a little this month. A couple of box buyers can impact this category.

CARD GAMES: Up a tremendous amount. 2. 5 times over last year. But I think last year was an anomaly, being so low. Still, Magic continues to sell and we're getting a new wave on Friday, so again, I can hope for a good May.

GAMES: Down about 7%, but still very healthy. I took my focus off a little, but am starting May off with a huge order of product.

NEW BOOKS: Up by 37%. So far this year, we are up 25% overall.

TOYS: Way up, by about 2.5 times. I've made a real effort this year to revive my toys, sports and non-sports cards, anime and manga sales. I had been so focused on New Books and Boardgames, that I let them fall off a little. So far, the Toys have responded to the new attention the most...So far this year, we're up 30%.

GRAPHIC NOVELS: Up by 25%.

I feel like the store is firing on all cylinders. Obviously, I'm delighted that New Book sales continue to increase, that Boardgames are strong, and that my focus on the smaller categories is starting to payoff.

This is exactly the sales level I've been shooting for -- before the boom, and after. During the boom we shot way over this level, but I knew at the time it was a bubble and didn't expect it to continue. To reach this level when the economy hasn't recovered yet is very encouraging.

I see my job right now as building strengths on the strengths, and shoring up the weaknesses.

No comments: