Friday, December 10, 2010

Tarting up the bookstore.

After reading interviews with independent bookstores (on Shelf Awareness), it appears that many of them are imbibing the kool-aid of e-books. They seem to be totally buying into the notion that it "puts them in the game."

Well, maybe not totally. There is an air of desperation to it.

You know what it reminds me of? Those piles of books that show up at the BookMark occasionally about how to "Save your Marriage."

"Meet him at the door wearing lingerie."

"Cook him gourmet meals."

"Kiss his feet...."

Well, maybe not that last one. But it always seems kind of demeaning.

I still maintain that we're bookstores, not coffee shops, not internet cafes, not performance centers.

Have some pride.


I'm not saying you shouldn't diversify or try new things. I mean -- look at my store.
But I think it should be an organic, from the inside process, bringing on elements you're comfortable with, and can support.

Too much of what I'm hearing sounds like grasping at straws.

Yesterday's example of Time/Warner buying AOL. You can almost imagine the thought process behind it.

"Hey, I hear this internet tuby thingie is going to be really big. Let's buy an internet company!!

Whether it makes sense or not, whether they even understood it....

I've also seen this process in my own business several times over the years -- the sports card shops thinking they could reverse the decline by having "interactive" events. Game stores, the same thing -- in fact, the manufacturers have almost made it difficult to run a game store unless you have tournaments and game space and so on.

But if the fundamentals are weak -- no amount of activity will make up for it.

The fundamentals of bookstores are selecting, displaying and selling physical books. Let's encourage that.


I also believe that these types of change should be planned far in advance. That both intended and unintended consequences should be explored. That they should be instituted slowly, and examined every step of the way, and walked back if they don't work.

They should most importantly, be built on the walls of success, not thrown into the breach of failure.

Jumping on a bandwagon is dangerous -- you're taking other people's advice a little too much, the learning curse is incredibly steep, and the costs are high.



You have to wonder if booksellers have thought out the logic of such a strategy. Or have really examined the long-term consequences.

Let's imagine that they are actually successful at selling e-books (as you know, I think this is doubtful, but lets imagine...). I would ask the question; "Which is more likely? That publishers will see e-books selling at independent bookstores?

"Or that publishers will see e-books selling."

Will that impression rebound to the indy's benefit, or just encourage a trend that will be its longterm downfall?

It reminds me of when the sport card market started turning to the mass market -- suddenly some brands were only available in the mass market, and other brands were cheaper there than anywhere else.

I think just about every cardshop in the country except me started buying their cards at the mass market. When I would question this, most of them would replay, "We can't afford not to have what the customer wants..."

Yeah -- except, in the end the card manufacturers saw the sales numbers from the mass market, and compared them to the sales to the indy's and came to the wrong conclusion -- that most cards, (or more cards than in reality) were selling in the mass market.

Which only encouraged them to spend even more of their efforts toward that market.

5 comments:

RDC said...

Duncan,

One of the leading items being purchased as a gift this year is an ebook reader. Couple this with the fact that all of the android and apple smart phones can be converted into free ebook readers. Then take into account the popularity of tablets such as the iPad and Samsung Galaxy. What it comes down to is readers in the millions are getting ebook readers of some type each year.

How long before publishers start moving away from the cost and uncertainty of printing altogether?

I am now thinking that within 5 years over 50% of (non-textbook or reference) books published will be ebook only, without a paper version being released. I have already seen some publishers starting to do some ebook only releases.

I also expect that you will see an increase in publishers doing their own web sites with more direct sales of some e-book formats in addition to the main Big box ebook sales.

Duncan McGeary said...

No disagreement from me.

But -- I think both publishers and readers are underestimating the importance of brick and mortar bookstores -- and they won't know it until it's too late.

In fact, I've already written an entry for tomorrow to that effect.

RDC said...

Yep, as I mentioned earlier the problem will be how will an author or publisher get visibility for their books out of all of the books published. The key in the past has been to sell the book to the buyers of the major book stores, and/or get it stocked by the major book distribution companies such as Ingrams. Now it is going to mean marketing to individual buyers, an entirely different prospect.

Owen said...

Duncan, what is your strategy to deal with the increase of e-book sales? It sounds like your business is strong enough to deal with it now, I wonder if the air of desperation you mentioned is because those stores are not doing well and are trying to find ways to stay in business.

Bit of an upheaval going on with print media and journalistic media in general. I think you can "borrow" e-books and put them on your e-reader from the public library now, though I'm not sure if they have this feature yet here.

I agree with RDC, paper versions of books are going to become more and more rare down the road. However, I suspect that they will continue in a more limited role as a niche market, in much the same way that some vinyl LP's are still being made and sold. (Don't get me wrong, that day is a long way off, but it is coming.)

It's pretty obvious, though, that a lot more retail is going to be done strictly through the web. Most people do not need to physically hold an item in their hands in order to purchase it. My business is proof of that.

Duncan McGeary said...

"...what is your strategy to deal with the increase of e-book sales?"

I'm just going to keep selling real books until I can't sell them anymore.

My booksales are kind of spur of the moment, people in the store and seeing a book they like; those kind of sales.

I'm not really a destination bookstore. So sales probably won't change quite as much for me.

They have been a sideline all along.

I probably should be more worried about comics and graphic novels -- which are half my business, and for which I am a destination location.

I still think it's going to take a few years -- but I could be wrong. It's one reason why I've diversified so much -- not that I knew this was coming, but because I figured SOMETHING could come along and I better not be too dependent on any one product line.