Wednesday, December 22, 2010

Bottom of the ninth inning.

O.K. I admit this is wimpy of me, and there is probably nothing more boring. But I've run into a bit of roadblock with this going to work an hour early and staying an hour late.

I'm tired.

It's not just the hours -- lots and lots of people, and I'm doing more selling pitches (because they work this time of year) and talking to everyone and -- about 4:00 yesterday I looked at a regular customer who I knew would forgive me and said, "I can't say another word. Go...."

Give me a choice between working everyday for days on end but for only a few hours, or working for only a few days but with long hours, I'll pick the former every time. Unlike my wife, who would much rather do the latter.

I think it's a matter of stamina. I've noticed before that I seem to run out steam on long trips, for instance, when other people are still raring to go. I came home last night and crashed.

Oh, well. Only three days to go. I'm going to moderate to half an hour early, and half an hour late --unless it seems busy.

I don't want to jinx things, so I'll just say that business is better than I expected so far -- and in talking to other merchants, that doesn't seem to be generally true.

I'm selling the hell out of boardgames, and I've gone out of my way NOT to run out of any important product, or if I run out to have it back in the store the next day. (Unlike that stupid USA Today headline that said stores are running out of product -- maybe the mass market is running out, but not THIS store!)

Onward and upward. I'll no doubt have all of January and February to recover....

No comments: