Tuesday, December 7, 2010

Books and memories.

A few years back, there were three businesses in Bend who opened within a short span of each other, who were profiled in the Bulletin, who for some reason were willing to give out some Costs of Opening figures.

Those costs were so high, I simply couldn't understand how they could possibly ever earn a profit -- and this was before the crash.

One lasted a very short time, the other morphed over time but eventually went out, and the third recently announced they were changing their name and management.

The two of them located in downtown Bend, left 'beautiful corpses' , as I phrase it -- the next people occupying the spots probably won't have nearly the opening costs.

Downtown Bend fails ever upward.

**********

The health news about Elizabeth Edwards is bringing back memories of my sister, Tina. They were diagnosed with the same disease at about the same time, though it's progressed differently. That and the Holidays, which we always used to celebrate at Tina's house have made me miss her.

UPDATE: Ms. Edwards has died. I wrote this earlier this morning, and just hadn't posted it. Sad. She was about the same age as Tina, too.

**********

Got in six large boxes of books yesterday, which I'm going to take my time filing away today. Last week, I thought it would take me all day to put a large game order away, and I got it done in a couple of hours.

I'm still finding it hard to read books at the store -- thank god for the internet, where I can fritter my time away endlessly.

**********

The electrical outlets at Pegasus are kind of weird -- very old wiring, I suspect. Anyway, lightbulbs tend to last for very, very short periods of time in the niches at the front part of the store, so I tend to not replace them most of the year. But from Thanksgiving through December, I try to make the effort.

I saw a picture of the front of the store on another Bend blog, and it gave off such a warm glow, maybe I should try harder the rest of the year. Buy a case of cheap lightbulbs, or something.

**********

1 comment:

Justin Phelan said...

Sorry about your sister Dunc :/... I just got done reading a series of books (Jason Wander series by Robert Buettner)and was wondering if there were any books you'd recommend. I only read fiction and to narrow it down more Science Fiction ;). Most notably I read A. Lee Martinez, Christie Golden, and Karen Traviss. I appreciate your suggestions!