Friday, December 31, 2010

Baby, it's cold outside.

"Unemployment claims drop." National headlines.

Maybe they've just run out of people to fire.

**********

I've learned my lesson. I need to get my haircut and beard trim before the holidays. Because once the holidays get here, it seems to be impossible to schedule. I'm a gray, hairy beast.

***********

I need a holiday from the holidays...

**********

Borders has run out of money to pay its vendors.

Hard to be a store when you don't have stuff to sell.

**********

I still get the occasional urge to rent a movie.

If Blockbuster disappears, will we see a small resurgence in small, local rental stores? Maybe?

It would seem to be an analogy to small bookstores versus B & N's and Borders. People who still want books may be willing to frequent the neighborhood bookstore, again.

Or will they end up in the back of some chainstore, or something.

**********

Can't be a good sign for the Green Hornet movie that absolutely no one has asked for the Green Hornet comic.

I've had inquiries about the Green Lantern stuff -- but again, not so much the comics.

Green Hornet -- Green Lantern. I can see the confusion already.

**********

I always felt that the Cascade group of magazines here in Bend served a particular niche.

I've never known whether this niche is typical of metro areas, or whether it was unique to Bend. When you look at their advertisers, there are a whole lot of construction and real estate people in there, and that had to have been a drag over the last couple of years.

I just don't feel like being harsh toward this venture. The owner showed a whole lot more civic spirit than I've ever shown, for instance. The optimism level was a tad --high, shall I say? But people seem to like that, "Never mind the funnel cloud, we're having a picnic!" attitude.

The trying to separate "personal" from "business" debts seemed a little convoluted, but who knows?

If you take them for what they are, I see no reason not wish them good luck.

No comments: