Wednesday, January 6, 2010

December, 2009, results.

Overall, we were up 10% for the month of December, which means we've been over last year's sales in Sept., Oct., Nov. and December. I'd call that a trend.

Still, I'm leery of this year, and I'm only going to try to match last year's totals for the first half of 2010.

COMICS: Up 17%. Love them or hate them, the big 'Event' stories do bump up the sales, and it was nice to have DC Comics joining Marvel in the best-sellers. Black Lantern has been a phenomenon. I think I lost most of my significant customers in the first 6 months of the Great Recession.

DVD's: Since I'm more of less clearing these out -- not permanently, but just so I can reposition them-- sales are up and down. They were down about half this Christmas.

SPORTS CARDS: Up 20%. Cards are pretty fluky, these days. Depends on how many box buyers I have on any given month.

CARD GAMES: Down about 32%. This has been happening for awhile, indeed it happens every time I have a competitor who actually provides game space. In the past, I've discounted in response, but this time I'm not going to do that. It's still a significant sideline, and I'd rather earn proper profits on lower sales, than insufficient profits on higher sales and concentrate on those sidelines that are working.

GAMES: Boardgames did very well this Christmas, and it was nice to have a Christmas-like product for once. Summers and Christmas seem to be the time for boardgames.

BOOKS: Up 16%. Not record territory, but within striking distance.

TOYS: Almost exactly the same. Always the best month of the year. Duh.

GRAPHIC NOVELS: Down significantly. Watchmen was still selling last year, and manga is still sliding. Plus, I suspect a few more titles are being included in the book section that used to be included in the GN section.

Overall, I'm pleased. With Christmas, a few days can make all the difference.

No comments: