Friday, June 2, 2023

Which three of my own books would I recommend?

Which of my books do I feel good about recommending?

That's a different question than which books are my favorites or which books do I think are my best, though a Venn diagram would be 90%.

So which books do I put into people's hands?

"Led to the Slaughter," probably first, depending on the reader's tastes. (Not everyone likes the fantasy/horror element.) This book, for me, has stood the test of time. It's a darn solid book, in my opinion. The history was as accurate as I could make it. It was solidly constructed and I never had any second thoughts about it.

"Deadfall Ridge," if the reader is more inclined to "reality." I mean, at least there aren't any fantasy elements to it. It's a bit far fetched, but to me that's what thrillers do. They bend reality to make it more exciting. Again, I think this is a solid book. 

"Tuskers," the first book in my super pigs series. It's a fast-paced book, if you can buy the premise. There are a couple of great characters in the book, characters who came out of left field and took over. And if the reader likes the first book, chances are they'll like the others.

Most of my other books require more explanation, I guess. I think there are a couple of good ones there; in fact, probably my two favorite books to write: "Fateplay" and "Blood of the Succubus." I thought "Snaked" was pretty good, too.

A few others were me simply feeling my story-writing oats. I liked them, but I never pushed them. So they are my orphans, in a way. Some of them only went to ebook format. Not that they weren't good, just that I had exhausted everyone by my output. I rather liked "Shadows Over Summer House," my one sort of gothic/romance type book. "Gargoyle Dreams" is another love story, and I think my editor, Lara Milton liked it best. Linda liked the first person/straightforward storytelling of "I Live Among You."

My vampire books were me learning to tell a story again. I think they are decent, and in fact, the second book, "Rule of Vampire," was one of the most solid books I ever wrote. 

"Fairy Punk" was me having fun, and "The Last Fedora," perhaps was the most original and unusual of my books.

And a few others, toward the end of my writing binge, were more experimental. They were me trying something different, trying to stretch. The reviews by readers weren't as encouraging as my early books, but I'm proud of them. I know what I was trying to do. 

I didn't try to mention all my books. It's the same problem I had writing them; too many, too fast. But I was in the zone and I didn't want to disrupt it. What a great time I had. 


No comments: