Wednesday, June 28, 2023

I just don't have the collector mentality, which considering what I do...

...which considering what I do for a living is kind of strange. (Edited to say, not so much "collector" mentality as "collector/speculator" mentality.)

Anyway, I found a guy who is selling pulps online and contacted him. 

He offered .25 each.

I understand what he's doing, I understand he has his perimeters, but I'd rather just keep them. I countered his offer for what I consider a low price.

Haven't heard back from him. Heh.

Even if he agreed now, I wouldn't follow up. Like I said, I understand how the game is played, but I ain't giving them away. I looked up a few of the John W. Campbell edited, "Astounding"s, the man who boosted Heinlein, Clarke, Asimov and just about every other Golden Age writer and they were worth quite a bit. One of them is probably worth more than he was offering for the whole batch.

Of course, that's if you can find that person who wants it. 

He's missing a bet, but it's none of my business. I probably undersold what I had; which I'd rather do than oversell. But, in my mind at least, this was the equivalent of the mythical "warehouse find," where someone finds a warehouse full of untouched copies of something in demand.

So onward, selling them at the store. Basically selling one book at store = 24 copies to this guy, with none of the work. I've already paid for the books out of the store, and then made keystone selling a bunch of the Bad Girl art to a collector. 

I don't want these tossed when I'm gone, so I have to make sure Todd and Toby understand how cool and rare these are. 

I just don't have the collector mentality.

It reminds me of, back in the 80s, when I bought a Silver Age comic collection, took them to the Portland comic convention, and sold almost none of them though I thought I'd priced them low. 

Took them to the next year's convention, same thing happened.

Decided to quit going to conventions, but then got a call from the guy putting on the convention telling me that my Silver Age collection was the best he'd seen in all of Oregon and he'd give me a prime location near the entrance if I'd come again.

Went one last time, same thing happened. 

Somehow, it just never made sense to me.

So for example, I had a few mint copies of the first appearance of Punisher in Amazing Spider-man. It was selling for about $50, but no one offered more than $25. 

Next show, it was worth $100, but no one offered more than $50.

Last show, worth $150, but no one offered more than...well, you get the picture. (Currently, a Graded 9.4 is going for about $10,000.) 

I basically got out of the collecting part of the business because I had no knack for it. I didn't have the right brand of bullshit. 

It was one of the best decisions I ever made as a businessman and it probably kept me in business much  longer than otherwise.

No comments: