Saturday, June 3, 2023

Googled my name.

Did what I haven't done for a while and Googled my name. There are pages and pages of listings. I guess that's what happens when you write 25 books.

To my surprise, it said I have 768 reviews for "Deadfall Ridge." (4.2 out of 5) I had no idea it was that high. I wonder if they have changed things. Believe me, these things are relative: "Fairy Tale," by Stephen King has 46,000 reviews, while my 768 reviews ain't bad for a indie book.

The guestimate is that each review can represent up to 10 sales. I haven't really kept track. That's from Amazon alone, and there are other venues, including my own store.

I also found a lot of reviews I didn't know existed for my other books--partly, I think, because there are different editions from switching publishers. There are even reviews for my short stories (a perfect 10 ratings for "Free Mars," and even a few reviews for my little confection, "Burp, the Burrow Wight.")

I'll never have a completely accurate number for how many books I've sold because a couple of my publishers weren't exactly on top of things.

But all in all, it's pretty encouraging.

So now I'll wait another few years before Googling my name again.


2 comments:

Dave Cline said...

I remember reading your beta for DFR.
Whatever happened to Shadows over Summerhouse & Fateplay? Eden's Return?

Duncan McGeary said...

They're out there. Fateplay and Eden's Return in book form. I just never did much to push them. Nothing much happens if you just lay them out there...