Saturday, June 3, 2023

The Sword of Damocles.

We mortals all know that the Sword of Damocles hangs over our heads. But once you've had a heart attack, you can see the sharpness of the blade. It completely changes how you look at things. 

I started reading obituaries pretty early, probably in my 30s. (I read somewhere that reading obituaries is a sure sign of middle-age.)

The name of this blog is, "The Best Minimum Wage Job a Middle-Aged Guy Ever Had." I started writing it in 2006, when I was 54 years old. I'm now 70, but I can't figure out a graceful way to change the title, so I'm keeping it.

A big chunk of my family is visited Bend this week. I'm happy to see them. At the same time, some of them knew me from the big chunk of my life when I was younger and also deeply depressive. I see them rarely because we are spread out all over the country. So there's that thing where you are what your are and people remember you as you were, There is a weird sort of fight to remain the current self and not fall back into your former self.  

Linda, being the youngest sibling in her family by far, talks about how hard it was to make her siblings realize she wasn't just a kid anymore. Strange to say at the age we are, but it is still a thing. 

Reading about De Niro and Pacino having kids in their 80s made me wonder about how they must think about things. I'm nearing retirement--and putting it off as long as is feasible. I've already spent too many days at home wondering what to do. I like going to the store. I still enjoy it.

At the same time, whenever I start making changes or investing in longer projects, I wonder if I should be doing it. There's a commercial on these days that has a bunch of old people cheerfully talking about their hobbies and plans...and then an abrupt shift to a dark screen and the sound of a monitor flatlining.

Ghee, thanks for reminding.

But what else can you do? You pretty much have to prepare, but there are going to be things you leave undone. There are things your family will have to wrap up. You can't stop living.

Anyway, happy Summer weather and sorry about this particular blog. Family visits get you thinking.

No comments: