Friday, May 10, 2019

It always amazes me when a writer says that "re-writing" is their favorite part of the process. I think I know what they mean. It's the last step in crafting a story, when it all comes into focus, and all that.

But fundamentally, it uses a different part of the brain, the part of the brain I turn off when writing a first draft--the critical judgement part. Apparently, some people's creative and judgemental parts are better integrated than mine. Heh.

I love the imagination of the first draft. I love the scenes coming alive in my mind's eye. I love living in a different dimension.

But once the words are down on paper, they are more words for me than visualization. I'm hoping that the original vision is transferred, and I understand that there is craft shaping words for the maximum effect, but it isn't enjoyable the way writing is.

Going backward is work.

The reader should probably expect me to work. That doesn't mean I have to like it.

No comments: