Thursday, May 2, 2019

Avengers Endgame, no spoilers.

Finally saw "Avengers: Endgame". Good movie. Kudos for handling so many characters, while at the same time focusing on the main Avengers group. It helped that all these characters were familiar to us from previous movies.

It reminds me of what my Mom--who was anything but a SF fan--said about the Star Trek Whale movie. "It was like visiting old friends."

So now I don't have to worry about spoilers. I did catch a whiff of some things that would happen, though I was only half right in my guesses.

So I'm caught up on Game of Thrones and Avengers, thus fulfilling my nerd duties.

Still blows my mind that a movie about Avengers could earn 1.5 billion in the first week, while we sell maybe 15 copies of Avengers in our store. I can't even guess what minuscule percentage of local movies goers that covers. But that is something I came to terms with as far back as the first Spider-man movie.

I do believe there is an overall halo effect from the movies, but they probably help graphic novels more than monthly comics, and that's perfectly all right. We probably sold 40% more graphic novels than comics last month.

We're beating last year almost every month--except February, and the crazy snow makes that kind of an exception.

Meanwhile, I've decided from now on to make all my new book orders from Ingrams because I need to keep up my discount levels, and perhaps even increase them slightly. I really wish B & T would hang in there--they were doing a good job right up to the announcement, which is unusual for a business that is having trouble.

I'm not quite ready to open accounts with individual publishers.

Just have to keep adjusting. Amazing the amount of change in the last few years.

No comments: