Friday, March 15, 2019

Write what you want to read?

I've heard this advice over and over again--"Write what you want to read."

A little secret. I've never really done that. I tend to read thrillers or hard S.F.

I've only recently ventured into thriller territory, and I've just written my first true S.F. (and it's not "hard" S.F.)

Not that I wouldn't enjoy reading the stories I've written--I would hope. It's just that my creative urges don't always match my reading appetite.

All this is to say---I really would have liked to read "Fateplay." It's right up my alley.

I mentioned before that I truly enjoyed "Ready Player One." Even though "Fateplay" was inspired by this book, mine turned out very differently. But I really enjoyed being "Zach" in this book. I really enjoyed the other protagonists, including the villains.

Zach Spence--who's been getting deluxe Red Passes to Pegasus Conventions in the mail for years.

Mr. Zander, a tall spindly man with a crushed top hat and knee high boots, a sharp goatee and a frock coat full of sharp knives.

Charismatic Elvis, who's not at all what he seems.

Numera, tall and elegant, out of Spence's league, so he thinks.

Agate, cute and quirky, every nerd's dream.

Coyote, the spirit guide, who may or may not really exist.

The Blue Queen, Mistress of Ceremonies, who seems in control but....

Anyway, I loved writing all these characters, as well as the setting where VR and holo's and costoms and gaming are all central. And at the end, a lot of strangeness.

I really hope this takes off, because I'm proud of it.

No comments: