Saturday, March 9, 2019

Small business is an act of willpower.

I decided that this was the year that I'd stay within my budget at Pegasus Books for the first half of the year rather than catching up the second half of the year. (Sales are roughly 40/60).

Then the snows came.

This week I decided that I'd keep the image of the "good" store that I always try to keep in my head and do whatever it took. It immediately felt like the pressure was released. I ordered a ton of books and told Sabrina to keep up the regular orders for games and comics/graphic novels.

We'll make up for it in the second half, as usual.

We got something like 15 big boxes of books on Thursday. All of them titles that have sold well. There were another few thousand dollars worth of books that are more midlist that I skipped this time around but will order the next time. I also really only ordered one each of very  popular books, so that will also be ramped up for the next order. I usually try to have 2 or 3 copies of titles like "Dune" or "The Name of the Wind," perennial bestsellers.

In some ways, a small business is an act of willpower.

Here is a great store and you'll all respond, I just know you will, how can you not?




No comments: