Wednesday, March 6, 2019

Audio of "Deadfall Ridge" coming soon.

Linda and I listened the audio recording of "Deadfall Ridge" by Kevin Meyer, who's a pro. (Should be available soon.)

It's a strange experience.

First of all, it reminds me how complicated it is to write a book, all the moving pieces, all the connections, all the twists and turns.

Secondly, I don't tend to remember writing the actual sentences, so I'm constantly surprised by the way I expressed something. I have some neat turns of phrases which surprise me that I came up with them. Linda laughed at least once in every chapter, because I do tend to put some humor in. Which is weird, because I'm not that funny a guy. But it comes from the characters.

Third, I do notice how I might have said something better when it's in someone else's voice.

Fourth, it comes across pretty well. Better than I would have expected. (Though as always, I feel that there is another step upward somewhere, somehow.)


Meanwhile, "Fateplay" is edited and is waiting on a cover. So it should be coming up in the near future. Now that I've had the BookBub experience, I'm of course addicted but I also know that the chances are slim each time. Three months later, "Deadfall Ridge" still sell some books everyday, better than anything else I've done. (Though looking back, "Led to the Slaughter" did pretty well too, with the most and best reviews.)


I'll be reading the last chapter of "Eden's Return" in writers group next Tuesday, so that book will be finished as soon as I do a solid rewrite.

I also have "Takeover" and my four "Tales of the Thirteen Principalities" ready to be edited. And of course, the four Lander books.

I've been uncertain about "Faerylander" which has been rewritten so many times I can't tell if it's any good. I asked my publisher to take a look at it, and he just wrote back and send it on in as usual and the editor will do the usual thing.

I guess. I just have to hope there is enough feedback to get an accurate reading. (This isn't entirely possible, of course--it's all pretty subjective.)

All this is to say, I have a ton of editing to do, but the results would be amazing. It would take me at least three times longer to write a new book than to finish any of the above works. So at some point in the near future I just need to roll up my sleeves and get them done. If and when I do, I have at least a two or three years worth of books to be released.

Wow. I was a busy guy.

No comments: