Tuesday, March 12, 2019

To "sour one's temper and disturb one's quiet."

Ben Franklin didn't patent his inventions. He thought they were for the common good. To claim credit "sours one's temper and disturbs one's quiet."

I like that.

With writing, the constant temptation is to push one's books on others. I have to resist that impulse, because even when it works, it only sours my temper and disturbs my quiet. Besides, it doesn't work, except in the sense that a constant awareness of promotion probably results in higher sales eventually.

But at what cost?

I liken it to being the cousin who shows up at the wedding trying to sell everyone life insurance. Don't be that guy.

I do bring up my books at the store, and that does result in sales. But if I see hesitation, I immediately say, "Please don't feel like you have to buy the book." I know, I know...there is still the effect of the author standing there with a pathetically hopeful look on his face. But I think that's fair.

With "Led to the Slaughter" and "Tuskers" I went down my Facebook friends list, and if they were really people I knew, I asked them if they wouldn't "review" my book. Of course, to review the book, they have to buy it...

It worked with "Led to the Slaugher," mostly because it was my first book (coming back). It worked half as well with "Tuskers." I think I tried it with one other book ("Snaked"?) and it didn't work at all, and I felt a little seedy doing it. So that won't be happening anymore, despite the effectiveness. (Don't be that guy.)

I've mentioned I had a health scare, and it really made me ponder what I've done and where I'm going. And what I found, when I looked deep inside, is that I'm very happy with my oeuvre. My body of work stands up. It ain't perfect, but it's better than I expected--and it's mine. I'd like to finish off the books I've written and get them out there, but if I never write another book, I'm pretty happy with what I've done. 

It just feels right.

No comments: