I finished the structural rewrite of Faerylander. (By my count, the 20th version, but probably about the 5th full rewrite.) I'm pretty sure this is it.
I cut about 10%. I think the motivations are clearer and the action more concise. The flow is more forward and a little less sideways.
I still want to work on the language a little, take out a few of the more unnecessary and overdone passages. I'm a more subtle writer now. But those are easy enough fixes, they just need to be done.
I'd like to cut a little bit more, just little bits here and there. I'm going to tinker with it for another couple of weeks or so.
But the story is more or less complete.
It's funny, but I don't think any of the full rewrites were the total answer, but the combination of them has wrestled a book into shape. There are a few things I can't fix, but nothing that kills the deal, I don't think.
I'm going to send this off to Beta readers and then to Editors, so it's still months away from being shown to the world, but I'm pretty sure it's finally ready. (I think the last draft was probably almost ready, but this one is better, so...)
If I can fully finish, that will free me up to getting Wolflander and Ghostlander ready by the end of the year, too. Both will require rewrites based on what I changed in Faerylander.
Also in the next two weeks I'm going to write that one scene I wanted to add to Tuskers II and send the book on its way to Ragnarok Publications.
Then get to work on finishing Tuskers III.
Onward and upward.
23 hours ago