Wednesday, March 27, 2013

Wednesday wats.

Took the chapters 5 through 7 of Sometimes a Dragon to writer's group.  It was just three middle aged guys, which was a little embarrassing since I was reading a couple of sappy love story chapters.

Still I saw it as an opportunity to test the sappiness quotient.  Sure enough, it was a little much, especially the poetry,  but Ken had the suggestion that I counterpose the danger from the outside by making the viewpoint character show more of the contrast.  Keep the sappy, but surround it by the dangerous.

Ken, who I met at the store and who is helping me to improve the cover of Death of Immortal, said he 'liked it' -- and he seemed to mean it.  "It's the kind of thing I read," he said.  "It's as good as some of those other ebooks that are getting so much attention."

So that was encouraging.


Meanwhile, the cat Panga been meowing all morning as she has finally realized after 5 days that Linda isn't here.  I'm no substitute, obviously.  Don't hug right, don't brush right, don't prepare her food right.

Tough.


Expecting a busy day at the store, what with Spring Break and three shipments arriving.  Just reminding myself to take it easy, that all that pressure to get the shipments out for sale is my own pressure and to step back whenever it gets to be too much.


Finished off the bad tooth stuff yesterday.  Took only half an hour to put in permanent filling.  Kept the cap -- which was the expensive part.  Didn't even need novacaine.  That's one of the more wonderful feelings in the world -- to think you have a couple hours of shots and drilling, and instead it all gets done in a flash.

I now have caps on all my back teeth except one -- which is broken and scheduled to be replaced next month.  At least I don't seem to get cavities anymore.  Knock wood.  All this comes from stress at the store -- grinding my teeth for a decade or so really did major damage.

At least I don't seem to be grinding anymore, thank god.


The downtown situation is a little strange.  If I was posting rumors, I could get my list updated, but I'm awaiting official confirmation of things.

For instance, my understanding is that Soba is gone and the place next door which is owned by the same family it taking over the space.  But there is a sign in the window that simply states its being renovated.

Also, though while the vacancy rate is low -- it doesn't account for the still impressive turnover.  Nor do I think the rent rates are significantly lower than the boom years.  My sense is that the rates maybe dropped something like 15% or 20%, while sales for many downtown stores probably dropped twice that much.  Sales have probably recovered about half that much, and rents have gone up at twice the rate as the landlords realized they could get it.

So, in terms of ratios, I believe we probably have it worse now than we did then.

No way to be sure.  But that's my feeling.  The building across from me has turned over again and again, and the landlords always seems to have someone waiting to take the space.  No reason to lower rent, I guess, unless you want stability.  I'm not sure all landlords care about that, as long as they're getting paid.








No comments: