Friday, August 31, 2012

Friday fuds.

I want Leonard Nimoy to narrate my life's story when the time comes. It could happen. Vulcans have long lives.

**********

I also tweeted the above. Is that even kosher?

**********

No thanks. I'd rather not have Clint Eastwood narrate my life's story.

**********

So the whole financial world waits for Bernanke's assurances, he doesn't give them.

Then the stocks go up.

The stock market is a weird critter. (Initially they went down, but they're up as of now.)

**********
I reorganized my Bookmarks yesterday.

I'm setting new standards for vacuous blog entries.

**********

I make up for it, by not watching the conventions.

Is there a bigger waste of time than political conventions? (Twittered that comment. This could get to be a nasty habit.)

**********

I like boardgames.

But I'm started to wonder if they aren't beginning to bubbletize. They're announcing new games everyday, it seems.

I really need to pay more attention to the Will Wheaton's Table Top podcasts, which are apparently having a rather dramatic effect on the market.

......

O.K. I just checked it out. Seems they are encouraging people to go to Target -- curse their money-grubbing little hearts-- but an interesting show. When did Will Wheaton turn into Everynerd? He was such a brat on Star Trek, but the writer's of that show didn't have clue how to write kids. (Just tweeted -- twittered? twitted? -- my Everynerd comment. Again, probably not kosher.)

**********

We've renewed our lease at the Bookmark.

Linda's been having a good year. There was a slight decline last year at the height of the e-book talk, after 8 straight years of increases, but we seem to have rallied.

We asked the landlords not to increase our rent, and they actually lowered it a bit, so that's good.

I think the biggest surprise about e-books is that they seem to be affecting used books more than new books. (That and the fact new books are outselling used books 4 to 1 at Pegasus. Who knew?)

I've been trying to figure out why that might be. I'm guessing that new books simply aren't that cheap, whether digital or paper, whereas if you're inclined toward older books, they can get very cheap on digital.

Still not worried. I just think people like to shop for books. Especially downtown, people walking in the door at Pegasus Books are inclined to buy a good book if they see one.

Was talking to the former owner of the Book Barn, and she was asking if people "knew" I was selling new books, these days.

"What can I do?" I said. "Fortunately, downtown is a pedestrian zone, so people seem to find their way to my books."

I'm sort of doubting I'll ever get enough locals (especially other downtowners) to realize I'm doing new books in a real way. (Not all the way, admittedly, but I have some good books in my store...)

I just don't make enough money to effectively advertise.

I am thinking about setting up an account with Ingrams, the biggest book distributor. Currently, I get my books in two to three days from Baker and Taylor, the second biggest. (Cause they really do seem to try harder.) I could shave a day off that by going through Ingrams, but even now I barely meet their minimum purchases on the slow months. And I feel loyal to B & T after they were so accommodating.




1 comment:

Leitmotiv said...

Will Wheaton has been at this level for a while now. His love of video/computer games, D & D, and pretty much everything geeky and his star status as Wes Crusher on Star Trek has pretty much cemented his pull. Patrick Rothfuss of The Name of the Wind fame has also talked about him and done conventions with him.