Friday, August 3, 2012

Friday fuds.

"Olympics called a 'Complete and Utter Disaster' for London Businesses." Business Insider, 8/3/12.

I wonder, did they know this was going to happen? Were they sold a bill of goods?

"Hey, it will be good for you!"

This is, you know, like the Ultimate Street Closure. I could have told them.

To me it's interesting how the public is all, "Leave business alone, big government!" until it's events they like, and then there is a big fat silence.

**********

IdaTech sold "...its product lines, nonexclusive technology licenses, name and trademarks." Bulletin, 8/3/12.)

Notice, nothing is said about the physical infrastructure or the employees.

We talk a lot about trying to get high tech industry in Bend, but even when we do, we seem to lose them when they get big enough.

**********

The whole Chick-fil-a controversy is just dumb. From both sides.

Please.

**********

Ho hum. Another day, another brewery.

**********

You know, I think there is an aesthetic element to higher education. Ivy covered walls, if you know what I mean. I used to take my speech classes at the U.of O. in the oldest building on the campus. and I can still remember the old wood smell.

It felt like I was following an older tradition, and a higher calling.

So, we've got the makings of a beautiful campus up at C.O.C.C.

Let's stick with that.

(Or is there some reason two year students and four year students can't mix?)

**********

Real bad guys.

Most of the crime reports around here, seem to be baby criminals. Stupid kids who haven't thought through consequences. People who have meth-scrambled brains.

So it's noticeable when a couple of hardened criminals rob a jewelry store. These aren't people who strayed off the straight and narrow. These guys are hard core.

Fortunately, I think they probably just wandered in Central Oregon by mistake. I'm trying to imagine them trying to blend in out at Metolious....

"Pardon me, ma'am. This tattoo? No it's not a severed heart, its a broken heart, ma'am. This bulge? I'm just happy to see you."

**********

"Health Insurance Premiums Will Rise..." Bulletin, 8/3/12.

Hey, I hate to tell you -- they've always risen. Relentlessly. Hoping you'll quit extremes, actually.

My reading of the health care bill is that they now have to JUSTIFY significant increases....

So. Bullshit on the scary headline.

4 comments:

H. Bruce Miller said...

I don't know of any city in modern times that has economically benefited from hosting the Olympics. But the supposed "prestige" seems to be irresistible.

H. Bruce Miller said...

"We talk a lot about trying to get high tech industry in Bend, but even when we do, we seem to lose them when they get big enough."

Bend doesn't have the critical mass of brains and talent. When tech firms reach a certain size they just can't find or attract the number of quality employees they need -- even though "everybody wants to live here." Supposedly.

How does Bend overcome this problem? I don't know, and since I won't be living here much longer I really don't care.

Duncan McGeary said...

"...the supposed 'prestige' seems to be irresistible."

Prestige, smethige.

I swear half the trouble businesses run into is this desire to be big enough, important enough, to be talked about, to have status.

I swear half of advertising is about ego, instead of results. Promotions, same thing.

I've gotten very skeptical of anything but inventory, location, and price as drivers of business.

(I'm talking small business here -- advertising and status might make sense for McDonalds...)

yokem55 said...

I'm certainly not an expert, but you might want to stock up on David Mitchell's stuff, especially Cloud Atlas. If the Wachowski's are on their game (and the trailer sure makes it look like they are) that movie might push quite a few of those books...