Saturday, June 25, 2011

Movie talk.

An IMAX in Bend?

Cool.

But it won't be any use unless they're willing to show other than Hollywood blockbusters there.

I was hoping that after the fourth or fifth week of Pirates of the C., they'd transfer Cave of Forgotten Dreams to a 3-D theater. (Hell, if you haven't seen P of C by now, you probably don't care.) (O.K. just checked, P of C isn't in 3-D anymore, but Thor still is -- same diff.)

I am literally going to go to Portland to see the movie, just because every review I read raved about the 3-D.

Bend is sort of weird about independent movies. "Oh, all right. If we must. But we'll stick it in the smallest, oldest theaters and we'll bring it in week's after everyone else and we'll let you see it for a week, maybe two, and then it's gone, baby, gone."

Then again, twenty years ago we almost never got the smaller films at all, so I probably shouldn't complain.


Speaking of which, Linda and I saw Midnight in Paris, which was fun. I wish Woody went for more than superficial versions of Stein and Hemingway, et al, but I really enjoyed his vision of both past era's, which are two of my favorite artistic times.

**********

1 comment:

H. Bruce Miller said...

Bend is sort of weird about independent movies. "Oh, all right. If we must. But we'll stick it in the smallest, oldest theaters and we'll bring it in week's after everyone else and we'll let you see it for a week, maybe two, and then it's gone, baby, gone."

Very true. It's been that way ever since I've lived here. I think the perception is that Bend is a pretty lowbrow town and the audience for "arty" movies isn't large here. I also think that perception isn't far off the mark. If people here were beating down the doors to see independent movies, Regal would screen more of them.