Saturday, June 4, 2011

A graph of Bend's economy.

The story arc of the Great Recession.

A. The sky is falling, we're doomed, man. At this phase I was having customers coming in, asking solicitously, "How are you doing? Are you going to make it?"

(I'd say about 95% of the news was negative.)

B. Yes, things are bad, but they have stabilized. The world isn't ending.

C. Hey, I see a ray of light. Look! Oh, never mind. It was a false dawn.

D. Oh, I think this is really a new dawn. Look! O.K. Maybe it's a little cloudy still, but life goes on!

(At this point, I'd say about 50% of the news was negative.)

E. Oops, a bit of a fall back. But don't worry. Things are getting steadily better!

F. Look this stat is up. So is this one! (Never mind those negative stats over there.)

(At this point, I'd say maybe 20% of the news was negative.

G. Nothing but positive stories, with the occasional buried bad news.

I could go on, but my point is this. As far as I can tell the following graph is the real state of the Bend economy since the crash.

Pay attention.


_________--------------____--______---_____-----

Something like that.

No comments: