Monday, January 10, 2011

You call that a snowstorm?

Every picture I've seen of the "blizzard" in the south looks like a light feather dusting of snow. You know, what a good hard frost looks like on the high desert.

Wussies.

**********

Meanwhile, my backyard is still more than half covered with snow. This explains why my garden takes so long to bloom each spring/summer.

I don't know how it explains it, it just does.

**********

Oh, my god. I hate to say it, because I think the right wing's rhetoric has been out of hand. But all they have to do is show that mug shot of the shooter.

Crazy as a bedbug. Fruity as a fruitcake. Wacko. Batshit nuts. (I'll refrain from using my thesaurus.) Looney Tunes. Barmy. Bats in the belfrey. Bonkers.

One picture says a thousand words.

**********

I'm going to watch the Ducks game tonight with curiosity instead of with boosterism.

I graduated from the U of O, but just to get my degree. Don't think I ever identified with the place that much. It was just a place I went to school....

You know what? I don't think I even like the U of O....

I've been to a couple of Duck games. So, I guess I'll be rooting for them,....



Ah hell, who am I kidding?

GO DUCKS!

I was trying to save myself from that disappointing feeling of having the team I root for getting crushed. (Damn you, Drexler, Porter, Duckworth, Kersey and Williams!)

But....maybe....just maybe....Ducks will be #1.

If I haven't just cursed them.

Nah, they're doomed.

See the roller coaster ride? -- and the game hasn't even started. Maybe I should just skip the game. I don't really care.........

Yeah, right.

GO DUCKS!!!

**********

It took me an entire week to finish off the New York Times Sunday edition; I'm determined to read or at the very least browse, the whole damn thing. It gives me a window to a new world (fashion and glamour and Broadway and all that), as well as more in-depth stories on subjects I'm interested in.

But damn, it's a lot of information. It's like reading a book -- the number of words.

I finished off the New York Times Magazine yesterday, after the new paper arrived (with it the new edition of the mag), and I've still got the Book Review (the whole reason I subscribed) yet to read.

We had our two boys home last weekend, so that probably explains my tardiness.


It also occurs to me, as I read all these book reviews, that I read them instead of the actual book, mostly. And to wonder if book reviews may actually tamp down actual sales. Probably not. If I was truly interested in a subject -- and a review made me notice -- I'd be more likely to buy the book.

I've also thought of subscribing to The New Yorker or Atlantic Monthly -- but, then I'd never have time to actually do anything.

***********

No comments: