Wednesday, January 26, 2011

It's Wednesday. (but feels like Thursday.)

I have to say, for all my doubts and for all his faults, I was much more likely to watch Olbermann than Mathews or O'Donnell. And if I watched Olbermann, I was much more likely to watch Maddow.

Just saying...

**********

Tried watching the second episode of The Cape and it was unwatchable....

**********

Off to a rip-roaring reading start for the year. I'll have read at least 8 books, depending. (I'll try to do reviews at the end of the month...)

It pulls me away from the T.V., which is a good thing.

**********

I have to say, my comic sales are surprisingly strong, considering how weak my subscription shelves are. I was always in fear that without my subs, the comic sales would die off. But that doesn't seem to be happening.

I also make 20% more profits from comics purchased from the display racks.

Cool.

**********

On Monday, just to get out of the house, (Linda was at a doctor check-up), I got in the car and just started driving North. I like exploring all the "market" roads between Redmond and Sisters.

About ten miles toward Sisters, I pulled off on Fryear Rd. and about four miles beyond that I found the Fryear Canyon Trails. (I pulled off on a utility road about a mile before that, but I got the willies from the remains of homeless camps and whiskey bottles.)

I don't know if there are maps to be found of all the public access trails -- local, county, state and federal. But I'm going to start drawing my own crude maps in a notebook, so someday I won't have to wander around for so long before finding a likely spot.

**********

Funny how you have the same schedule for years, and then it changes -- but your body still thinks the old schedule.

I wake up Wednesday mornings thinking I need to hurry to get ready for the comic shipments.

Then I remember I dealt with them last night.

But having dealt with the comics, I think I need to do the weekly liquidation orders from Diamond -- but those aren't until tomorrow.

I think I'm autistic. I don't like the routines messed with!

**********

Having money in the stock market is just weird. It seems so detached from day to day reality. Making money doing nothing at all.

Of course, I'm aware I could just as easily lose money doing nothing at all.

But it's weird.

6 comments:

jared said...

Hey Dunc,

1) Do you still "feel" that people are moving to the area? There has been that discussion lately with my group of friends.

2) Add this to your reading list if you dare.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Passage_(2010_novel)

I read "A Canticle for Leibowitz" per your suggestion and liked it very much. This book seems to be a mix of ACFL and "I am Legend". I am a third of the way through, and enjoying it.

Duncan McGeary said...

I've been looking at The Passage for a long time, but haven't been willing to turn a hardcover into a "used" hardcover while I have other things to read.

If it's trade paperback, I need to order it.

Well, anecdotally, at least, it seems like a whole bunch of people have left...

H. Bruce Miller said...

"Making money doing nothing at all."

It's the American Way!

Conservatives would love to abolish the capital gains tax. They say they admire hard work, but they want to tax income earned through work and not tax income made without work.

Hypocrisy much?

RDC said...

Blackdog,

Capital gains is a double tax, the same as Dividends. You already tax Corporate profits. Then you tax the increased value (capital gains) of the Corporation to the shareholders. Dividends is the same you tax the Corporate income and then you tax the shareholders on the dividends they receive (even though the dividends payed out are not deductable to the Corporation).


Now the real reason for having a lower tax or no tax on capital gains is to encourage investment. Raise the capital gains rates and investments drop as the return after taxes shifts the risk reward calculation.

Duncan McGeary said...

RCD,

I've always wondered. Where are they going to put their money? In things that don't earn a profit?
Nice way to avoid capital gains, eh?

RDC said...

Duncan,

No, there are all kinds of comparisons I can run through. If you look at investments Treasuries usually return around 1% over the inflation. Because they are considered safe they are usually the basis for investment calculations. Now one makes decisions to invest in other areas based upon risk/return of those other investment areas vs treasuries. When to increase the tax on capital gains then you substantially lower the after tax return on the investments in the stock market as then the investment decision tilts in the direction of lower risk investments. Which may include treasuries, Bonds, municipals, currencies, foreign investments, etc.

It also changes the investiment paradigm to avoid taxes by changing not only how much you invest, but when you recognize the return. A decision to increase the Capital gains tax would probably be sufficient to generate a 20% reset in the stock market as people tack gains prior to the reset.


I hold a substantial number of investments that I would not be holding if the tax structure were to change on Dividends and Capital Gains.

Keep in mind that the groups that gain heavily from the current tax levels include retirees (dividend based investing) and pension programs.

Dividends and Capital gains are really double taxing of Corporate profits. You tax them on income and then you tax their shareholders on the increased corporate value (capital gains) or on Dividend payouts.

The capital gains tax is a bit like you paying tax on your income and then having to pay another tax based upon changes in your net worth.

If you want to increase Capital gains that fine, but then you should lower or drop Corporate income taxes. If you want to tax dividends then you should allow companies to take dividend payouts as an expense.