Sunday, November 1, 2009

Working it through.

I've been dealing with some -- what I would call -- cognitive dissonance over the last month or so.

"Cognitive dissonance is an uncomfortable feeling caused by holding two contradictory ideas simultaneously. The "ideas" or "cognitions" in question may include attitudes and beliefs, the awareness of one's behavior, and facts." Wiki

I've always thought of myself as the underdog, the 'come from behind dark horse.'

Another word for freedom is nothing left to lose. Or nothing to lose in the first place.

Being proud of, "The Best Minimum Wage Job a Middle Aged Guy Ever Had" and then almost immediately moving out of that into something more.

It's hard to go from a "Use it up, wear it out, make it do, or do without" mentality to realizing that you could actually BUY something.

I have a perfectly good 1990 Toyota Corolla that I've been driving, but it only took a few days of driving the car we got from Lois to get spoiled. That's just an example.

I have a perfectly good large T.V., but it isn't a 'big screen' T.V., but now I'm seriously considering ditching it. I feel guilty about discarding perfectly good things.

Health issues among my siblings and Linda's siblings have brought up just how short life is, you know? I'm not as worried about saving every dime so we aren't destitute old folk. I'm telling you, it's taking some adjustments in my thinking. All the advice is to take six months before you do anything. Which I'm trying to do.

Anyway, I've been choosing sort of neutral topics over the last few weeks. Sorry about that. Talking about the economy, about parking issues, etc.

I'm working it through.

1 comment:

H. Bruce Miller said...

"I have a perfectly good large T.V., but it isn't a 'big screen' T.V., but now I'm seriously considering ditching it. I feel guilty about discarding perfectly good things."

Regardless of the size of the screen, there is NO COMPARISON between the picture quality of an HDTV and an "ordinary" TV. If you want the HDTV and can afford it, I say go for it.

If you feel guilty about discarding the old TV, don't discard it -- give it to some worthy charity or to some poor person who would be glad to have it.

"Health issues among my siblings and Linda's siblings have brought up just how short life is, you know?"

Yes, I do know, because within the past two years my sister-in-law and brother-in law (both in their early 60s) have both died. This has considerably changed both my and my wife's attitude about frugality. Life is short; enjoy it while you can. Why live poor so that you can die rich?