Friday, November 27, 2009

Hanging in there.

I wrote the following about a year and a half ago. At the time, I thought it might seem too egotistical. But...you know what? it seems truthful to me. And more true than ever. I've now blogged for 3 straight years, I've not missed a day of blogging since I started, and I've written over 1600 entries.

As follows:

It's funny. Without meaning to, I've exhibited one of my major personality traits with this blog.

I tend to be...dogged. Tenacious. Nose to the grindstone. Steady.

The same way I write this blog, every day, is the same way I approach my business, or indeed, most things I do. I just keep doing them again and again and again.

I'm not saying I do this with a dour, heavy touch. Sometimes it's barely perceived by others. But I'm steadily moving in a certain direction, or adding brick by brick by brick.

It's never noticeable to other people at first, but I just keep a'comin' and a'comin'. What I do isn't flashy, just steady and reliable and built of small parts.

I don't give up very easily. I don't tend to make big changes. Things change around me all the time, but I'm usually living in the same place, with the same family, and at the same job for days, months, years, decades.

I think people do tend to underestimate me, for a long time, but it doesn't seem to matter. I simply outlast them, and it doesn't matter what they think.

I love my routines. I keep things simple. I do just a few things at a time. But I keep doing them.

I'm not saying this is all a good thing. I've probably missed a whole lot of spontaneous-ness. I've missed lots of exciting changes, and traveling, and experiences.

But I've also missed lots of turmoil.

Frankly, I don't have to be as good or as smart or as strong or as charming....I just keep doing the whatever it is I'm doing and sticking to it. I'm the turtle and I don't mind when hares go flashing by. I know I'll find them sleeping by the road, and saunter right past them.

If it's something I want to do, I can spend many years preparing and then...with what seems sudden to everyone else, I do them. But I've been thinking and mulling about them forever.

But it's got to be something I want to do. It's almost impossible to get me to do anything I don't want to do. But as long as it's my own idea, I can really be very patient and paced and measured.

I can get blown off course, just like everyone else. But I tend to trend back fairly fast.

And just keep doing it. Like this blog.

Day after day.

And the little bits add up to a life.

No comments: