Wednesday, March 7, 2007

Topps has sold to Micheal Eisner, of Disney fame. A noted bastard and media hound. Hey, this might be good! The collectible card market is so moribund, that he almost can't make it any worse, and maybe his fame will help publicize it. The hedge fund operators who were trying to take over the company are objecting. Hard to pick a side there....

Meanwhile, Topps has announced a Hollywood Zombies card set, which sounds like fun. Might be the new Garbage Pail Kids, if they don't pull any punches. (Interestingly, the new Garbage Pail Kids seem just a little more P.C. than the old ones, when you contrast the two.)

I've created a Zombie shelf at my store. The next specialized shelf is going to be Pirates. I'm hoping to fit in a Robots and then a Dragons shelf, and perhaps a Ninja/Samurai shelf. Just for fun.

Captain America is dead. Or so they're saying. Getting Captain America #25 this afternoon. Of course, I didn't order many. Marvel announces that something "significant" is coming out, and to be sure and order a bunch, you get it in, and it's lame. I've become immune to the hype. So occasionally I get caught short; better than eating lots of issues. (As someone said, next thing you know they'll kill Superman! No....wait....)

300. It's looking really good. A added bonus is that the director, Zach Snyder wants to do Watchmen next. One of the greatest graphic novels ever created; no, hell, it IS THE greatest graphic novel. (It was #100 on the list of this centuries Greatest Novels; the only graphic novel to make the list.)

Saw Ghostrider. About what I expected; I mean, what can you do with an idea like that?

I was raving about my Snow Giants statue, then had one of my customers want it. So I sold it to him. Firm rule in my store -- customers get it first. I was able to reorder it, I think. Never know until it shows up.

I really must stop buying expensive Art Books. Not because they aren't cool, but I have no room to show them off. An art book spine out is like a painting with a drape over it.

I just realized, god help me, that I have access to music and movies through my distributor Baker and Taylor. So far, I haven't accessed it. I am going to order Arcade Fire and the Shins in my new effort to keep up with new music. Thinking about ordering a few classic S.F. films. like Blade Runner and Army of Darkness. Budget? What budget?

Another one bites the dust. The wine shop on Wall Street is gone, to be replaced by a restaurant. Because, you know, we don't have enough restaurants downtown.

Some of the shops I pass every day to and from my car, I've NEVER seen anyone in. The other day, I saw some middle-aged women coming out of a shop, and thought to myself, O.K. I can't say it about that shop anymore; then I heard one of the woman say to the other: "False Alarm; not our kind of stuff...."

My biggest invoice ever, today. I'm giving myself permission to take two days to get it put away, instead of one. I put way too much pressure on myself, sometimes. All I can see is that something can't sell if it isn't stocked; but it is nearly impossible to do in one day ordinarily. No way I can do it at this volume.

That it: Need to scare off the woodpickers who are wacking my house....

No comments: