Friday, March 30, 2007

Rdc asked the question, in yesterday's comment, where will the next generation of readers come from?

I suppose, if there is a bright side of being such a dinky part of the demographic, that we have no where to go but up! My guess is that somewhere around 1% of the population is actively interested in comics. That gives us 99% of the world to conquer!

There is probably 5 - 10% of the population floating around that have read comics in the past, so they are our best bet. Then there is an exceeding small group of adults who are willing to try something new, and who haven't closed their minds to the possibilities of graphic storytelling.

I'm always being asked if the new Spider-man movie has helped sales, or the new Hellboy, or the new Transformers, or whatever movie is in the pipeline (and there seems to be a new movie every month or so.) The answer is -- non-superhero movies help sales in the specific franchise. That is, the 300 helps sales in the 300, and also in Frank Miller's other works, like of the Ronin, Return of the Darknight.

League of Extraordinary Gentlemen, sold lots of LOEG novels, and some of the other Alan Moore material, Watchmen, From Hell. And so on. Helpful that month, but usually short term.

Superhero movies? Not so much. Hardly at all, in fact. I always point out that if even 1/2 of 1% of the people who went to see the X-Men 2 movie on opening weekend had then bought an X-Men comic of the next month, sales would've doubled in that title. That didn't happen.

So, as has always been the case with comics except during the early 90's bubble years, we get one new customer at a time. If I get one new regular out of the Spider-man movie, and one new customer out of the X-Men movie, and one new customer out of the Daredevil movie, I've increased my subscription base by 3%! See what I mean -- we have no where to go but up!

But that isn't the whole answer, because of course the added credibility of the movies does help our overall business, I think. (Though, I will have more of the public look at the book, "The Art of the 300", which is basically stills and sketches from the movie than will pick up the actual graphic novel with the actual art. So credibility still has a looooonnnnngggg way to go.)

The analogy I'm using is this: If we think of fan interest as the hands of a clock, with 6:00 being zero interest, and 12:00 being buying level interest, we've always hovered at about the 8:00 level. Each customer brings his own level of interest to the store; so most customers may be at 6:00; which would take a miracle to get them to buy, but other customers being at 10:00 and maybe a small push will get them to buy.

Every good comic book movie pushes the clock closer to 12:00. For those that started at 6:00, some of them have moved to 7:00, which means that there is the slightest awareness of graphic novels. And a very few have been pushed from 10:00 or 11:00 all the way to buying. So good comic book movies can't hurt. (Bad movies or T.V. shows can -- I've always thought the Batman T.V. show set the comic credibility clock back to 6:00 for most of the world.)

So I'm hopeful our next generation of readers will come out of the huge pool of 99% of the world that isn't currently reading comics. It's a better bet than believing that kids will suddenly drop their I-pod's and head for the comic store.

4 comments:

RDC said...

I have noticed that the Union Tribune in San Diego has started to include a comic book insert (kind of a sample) in each sunday paper. Not sure if it is an attempt to attract more people to reading them in general or if it is more of an advertising approach for a specific character

Duncan McGeary said...

Another tick closer to 12:00.

I mean, I still get people in who are surprised that comics still exist. I'd say 90% of the population, even including all my adult customers, think most comic buyers are kids. (It is almost zero percent, in truth.)

Changes are happening, albeit slowly.

Jennifer (ponderosa) said...

In college I had a boyfriend who introduced me to the V for Vendetta series, which I absolutely loved. I also liked FM's Batman series. But they're too dark for me now. My impression is that all comics are dark and seem more suited to a disaffected urban populace. Of course this could be wrong, my exposure has been limited.

Have you ever thought about setting up a stand inside the movie theater during the times that comic-related movies are showing? Or have the comic book publishers considered that?

Duncan McGeary said...

Comics went through a dark phase. Now there has almost been a backlash against that, with titles like All-Star Superman and Invincibles harkening back to innocent times.

There are really broad range compared to 10 or even 5 years ago, more like what you would find in a bookstore or a movie theater.