Friday, May 8, 2020

Get it done.

Sabrina was expressing some doubt about whether we can get the store ready in time.

I never doubt it. My attitude is, we'll get it done. Whatever it takes. It may end up with some 10 hour last few days, but so be it. You take one piece at a time, and put blinders on, and eventually you look around and you've accomplished more than you thought you could.

I'd originally planned to have everything roughly back in place by the 15th of May, and then if the quarantine lasted another week or two, perhaps paint a couple of fixtures to boot. It looks like the paint will have to wait. I might try staining the cash register counter later on; first thing on closing on a Sunday night.

I'm giving the store a top to bottom cleaning. It's a very good feeling--that feeling you get when you've done a thorough cleaning.

Cleaning the bookcases and there are an amazing number of coffee droplets everywhere. I mean, how does that happen?

I should have the western half of the store done by the end of tomorrow, which will give me 5 days to help Sabrina out on the eastern half of the store. If everything is on shelves even if not strictly alphabetized, that will be acceptable to start with.

The lifting of the quarantine really lifted my spirits. I mean, with a touch of trepidation. But I didn't realize how much the quarantine was weighing on me--or how much the store still meant to me. Frankly, I really enjoy this part of the business.

If we actually do open the second half of May, and we can do at least half business, that will take care of a month's worth of overhead. We're going to be in the hole no matter what, but that will ameliorate the damage. 

The store will probably mostly look the same to regulars, not counting the floor--and who really notices the floor? I keep reminding myself that it had to be done.


No comments: