Friday, May 15, 2020

"Don't do that!:

Setting aside for the moment the risk/reward ratio of opening up, it feels really good. Even after 40 years of this, I’m excited. We are at peak Pegasus!!

I think Gov. Brown has it exactly right--we are trying to measure the boundary between safety and the need to be open for business. This was never going to be an easy equation. But part of my thinking is that it won't get any easier in two weeks or a month. In fact, it might be better to be open now than in two weeks or a month!

I'd say about 70% of the people I saw downtown today were without masks. But then, they are a pretty self-selecting group; the people who are willing to go out shopping in the first place.

The question is--if that equation holds up, then waiting a week or a month to open isn't going to help. But waiting more than another month or two becomes nonviable as a business. I could wish people would be more careful. Hell, it isn't just the masks, but also the social distance.

I was inside a store this morning. The clerk wasn't wearing a mask; I stood 8 feet away in my mask while talking to her. A couple of friends come in and they start hugging each other.

"Don't do that!" I shout, and leave. I mean, I said it in a joking way--but...


No comments: