Sunday, March 22, 2015

Thunderbold solution.

Yes, I misspelled thunderbolt.  A newly coined word.  :)

As I've been saying, Tuskers III is split into 3 parts.  The whole book works, though the first two parts are somewhat disconnected.  Part 3 ties parts 1 and 2 together nicely, though.  

I like the thematic structure of the novel this way.  It is getting bigger in scope, and complexity, but I figure anyone who has already read Tuskers I and Tuskers II will be up to it.

As it is currently, the book would be about 80K words, at least 1/3rd larger than the first two books.  Again, not what I would prefer but if it takes that many words to wrap up the storyline, so be it.

Anyway, in thinking about it this morning, it occurred to me is that what I've really got on my hands are three different books, not three parts.  I have the other chapters already simmering in my head.  I'd love to flesh it out a little, expand the characters a little, add a few more action scenes, that kind of thing.

Part 1 could turn into a book by simply continuing the logical progression of events, which I was going to need to summarize in Part 3.  Easily done, plus part one has a great climax that is more than satisfying enough to be the climax of a total book.

Part II is already pretty much its own story, and is mostly written.  Again, it has a pretty satisfying climax.

Part III is just a story in my head so far, but I really like the whole idea of it, so I know it would work.

If it were just me, I would definitely turn these into 3 books.  I went ahead and proposed the idea to my publishers.  I'm afraid they'll think it is a money grab, getting more advances, but really, that isn't it.  I think the whole story will be more satisfying this way.

I think if Tuskers goes to five books, each of them probably ought to have their own title, though.  Sometimes like Day of the Long Pork: Tuskers II.

I hope they like the idea.  It's very energizing.


No comments: