Monday, March 2, 2015

Rocking the ending.

I was rock and rolling through The Last Fedora, but as I came up to the ending I realized I might want to think it through a little.

Doesn't matter if the rest of the book is good if I don't nail the ending.

But the more I thought about the ending, the more evolved and substantial it got.  Nothing wrong with that.  It doesn't hurt to let it have some substance.

It's may take a little longer than I thought.  A few days, maybe.  But I think it will be worth it.

I have to go back and do a little rewriting, not much.  I've finally got in the habit of when I write something later in the book that requires changing something earlier in the book of going ahead and doing that.  I had a rule against any substantive rewriting until the book was finished because of my experiences 30 years ago of getting bogged down.  That doesn't seem to be happening now.  Depends on the definition of "substantive" I suppose.

The answers to the ending comes from my researching of Golem's.  Which, if I'm going to come up with answers, it a good place to go.

I really like this book.  I wish all books came out this way.

No comments: