Monday, March 30, 2015

Conflicting advice.

I don't think there is a single element of writing where I can't find conflicting advice, often diametrically opposed advice.

The one I've been noticing lately is -- write !, no matter how badly I think I am doing.  The opposite advice, of course, is don't write! unless I'm passionate about what I'm writing.

What this means, to me, is that I am on my own.  Trust my own instincts, follow my own inclinations.

I have my small business as a comparison.  Almost all the advice I read early about small business was wrong.  There was good advice mixed in with the bad, but there was no way of knowing which was which.  Until I learned it myself.  Then the good advice was just confirmation, and the bad advice was something I just shook my head over.

But it means that I am very leery about taking advice willy-nilly, without some evidence of my own to back it up, by which time I don't usually need the advice. 

Frankly, if I really tried to follow all the advice out there, I'd be tied up in knots.

I trust my instincts.  Most often, the best result comes from just doing what I think is right; even if everyone else is saying the opposite.

I imagine that's what a crazy person thinks.  Or put another way -- that's what I think and that's what a crazy person thinks. Which means I may or may not be crazy.

Knots, I tell you.

No comments: