Wednesday, July 31, 2013

No days below 80 degrees, 17 days above 90 degrees.

The city absolutely butchered the evergreens on the corner.  They're building a new sidewalk there.

Here's the thing -- if you cut past the green foliage, it never grows back.  Never.  Visually, it's pretty  much a disaster -- not the slightest bit of finesse or aesthetic appeal.  I'm going to have to remove the evergreens completely, I guess.

Unbelievable.

*****

Meanwhile, my front lawn seems to be dying, despite being watered.  I can't figure out why.  Wrong kind of grass?  Not enough preparation of the ground before it was laid down?  Not enough fertilizing?

I may have to have the lawn replaced, as well as the front shrubs -- as well as the front steps which are disintegrating.

Oh, the joys of home ownership.

*****

Yesterday was one of the first days in a long time when I simply couldn't come up with my quota of words.  The character I'm writing is supposed to be extremely evil.  How do you write about extreme evil?

I've decided, you have to do it from a distance -- that is, the viewpoint character can't be the one showing the evil because no matter what you do, once you start narrating from that point of view you diminish it.  I think it has to be observed -- almost like a black hole where no feeling can emerge.

*****

Anyone else notice how the weather forecast has been, 85 degrees today....but it will be cooler later in the week.  And then later in the week gets here, and its: 85 degrees today...but it will be cooler later in the week.

I'll be amazed if this isn't a record month.  How many times did it drop below 80 degrees?  Did it ever drop below 80 degrees?

Looked it up -- nope.  No days below 80 degrees, and 17 days above 90 degrees.  Assuming today's high is 85 or so, the average temp was about 88.5.

Historically, it's 82 degrees.

I think what's worse is just how relentless it has been.

The last ten days of June were also in the high 80's and 90's.

I'm thinking about moving north when I retire.

*****


No comments: