Wednesday, July 3, 2013

More than halfway through -- yes, already.

I'm more than halfway through the first draft of Rule of Vampire -- yes, already.

About halfway through, a new character entered the picture, a vicious little nerd vampire named Hoss, who is giving me ideas for the ending of the book.  I love it when a character takes over.

The other thing that happened is that by deciding on Rule of Vampire as my title, the "rules" became important to the plot, shaping the theme and the story.   I've never understood people who just sort of tack on a title.  For me the title often ends up directing the book.  The theme is implicit in the title.

I need to take time over the next few days to shape up the ending.  I'm thinking of a third book -- yes, a third book -- which means to huge blowout ending will be saved for another day.  This will be a small drama ending -- that is, the major love stories will be concluded, and the characters will be temporarily safe.

Then all goes to hell in the next book, and the entire human and vampire universe goes to war.

Nothing if not ambitious.

No comments: