Sunday, October 24, 2010

Sunday sundries.

"Bend's Awbrey Glen Neighbors Speak Up."

"We never would have moved here had we known this," says a resident about the restrictions of the high end development.

Hello? Gated Community?

Hey, so you want exclusivity -- but only THIS much exclusivity.

“Mr. Churchill, what kind of woman do you think I am?!”

Churchill: “Madam, we’ve already established that. Now we are haggling about the price.

**********

I enjoyed watching the Giants/Phillies game yesterday.

Don't laugh, but I was amazed to hear the announcer say that the skinny, long-haired pitcher had won two Cy Young Awards. Or that the tall drink of water in the Phillies outfield had tied the record for most post-season homeruns.

I'd never heard of either of them.

Has it been that long since I paid attention to baseball?

Apparently.

**********
Mountain Goat.

My brother and I were walking the Dry River Canyon a few weeks ago, and on our way out a couple of other hikers asked us if we'd seen the critter.

I'd totally forgotten about it.

I'm glad it's moved to the Newberry Crater area. I was worried about it.

You know what? I think he needs a name. Maybe if he has a name, no one will shoot it. Because there is always some yahoo out there who doesn't get with the program....

Billy? Way too easy.

Gruff? Kind of like it....

**********

Nibbles and noshes?

Like the phrase. Anyway, that's the way I've been eating for years, now. Little bit here, little bit there, never really a full meal.

Makes it hard to explain to family and friends -- especially Foodies --when they ask me about meals and cooking and so on, and I don't have an answer. Of course, I do it because I'm lazy, not for my health.

"Ah....I just sort of eat whatever, whenever...."

**********

Some folks are saying the Ducks won't be #1 in the BCS this week either.

Whatever.... maybe not being #1 is a good thing, at least until the final game of the year. #2, on the other hand, is crucial.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Toward the bottom of the goat article, the guy from ONDA is quoted saying people have been calling the goat "Witty," after deceased Bulletin outdoor writer Jim Witty.

Surprised you didn't have a reaction to the wrap-around political ad posturing as endorsements.

Duncan McGeary said...

"Surprised you didn't have a reaction to the wrap-around political ad posturing as endorsements."

I thought about it, but then I thought -- how's that different from what they always do?

Anybody counted the numbers for and against? Letters, quest columns?

Anonymous said...

What is a Cy Young award?