Friday, October 1, 2010

Other shortstuff.

So I'm sitting in my office with the backdoor open around 8:30 PM, and I start hearing a cow mooing loudly and indignantly. West of here. Toward the center of town.

One of those things I'll probably never know the explanation for....

Nice to know we still got that rural thing going...

**********

A report that the venerable Strand Bookstore in N.Y. is filling their front counter with candy, to catch those extra dollars from people who don't buy books.

I could do this too, and I think it would work: except, I can't stare at Tootsie Rolls all day without eating them. I just can't.

**********

H.Bruce was asking what I thought of the Forbes rankings of Bend as a Small Business town.

First of all, Small Business by their measure isn't small business by my measure. I think, overall, Mom and Pop businesses in Bend have a double whammy -- seasonal business with an otherwise isolated small town atmosphere; but big town costs and expectations.

Secondly, I think these types of articles are probably more about the journalistic need to find an good story, and to find interesting locations, and so on.

Bend has an appeal. Which works nicely in a story.

But the underpinnings of "business" may not quite match the story. Who knows whether Bend is actually more conducive to business than say, Albany, or Medford....?

***********

From the Jack and Mrs. Eliott Move to Bend blog:

I've been reading Duncan's blog for some times now. Much of his blogging is about running Pegasus Books: the daily minutiae of operating a small specialty retail store in downtown Bend.

O.K. That's cool.

Well, I don't see why Dunc should have all the fun in the "here's how I do something which is important and takes up a lot of my time but probably isn't very interesting to anybody but a few" category....

Thanks......I think.

At least he's reading it....

Maybe I'll change the name of my blog to: Here's How I Do Something Which is Important and Takes Up A Lot of My Time, But Probably Isn't Very Interesting To Anyone But a Few.

It would be an even longer title than the one I have!

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

At least when you have an entry that is likely to be, dare I say, "uber-boring", you give us advance notice -- so we can lower our expectations accordingly.

Sort of like how Krugman calls some of his posts "wonkish".

Anonymous said...

"Uber-boring."

I'd have to flag all my posts that way.

Anonymous said...

I think a lot of your posts about what you are going to do in the store is part of your mental process, the planning, for both the overall look and the steps needed to get there. Self-reinforcement if you will.

Duncan McGeary said...

I used to write in notebooks, to clarify my thinking about what I was trying to do at the store.

In some ways, all I've done is cleaned it up a bit and put it online.

When I'm talking about the store, that is. Actually, I write more to myself about the store that I never post.