Thursday, April 22, 2010

Spring work.

I was going to work on my orders this afternoon at home, but the roofers are here. Noisy little buggers...

The lawn is in and looking green. Funny, the backyard actually looks smaller now. The new privacy tree is about 25' tall, a nicely shaped maple. In my neck of the woods, most the plants have just lately started budding.

Looking forward to some real gardening this year.

Was not happy with the plants I bought from a 'mass market' store last year -- too many of them didn't survive. (They were planted carefully -- pretty sure it's the plants...My Mother's plants always survived.) So I'll buy from a nursery this year.

There is lots of cool stuff at the nurseries -- lots of kitschy stuff too. But I can see how it would be easy to blow a whole lot of money on nifty things. But I think a garden should be elegantly simple, too. Mostly plants. Linda likes the idea of gazebos and water fountains and statues and all that stuff, but I'm afraid of cluttering the look.

Still undecided about what kind of tree or shrubs we will plant in front of the front stairs. We have our own names for them; "Monkey tree" or "Dr. Suess Plants". We drove around, and it was interesting to see the shrubbery in sub-divisions, which seem to reflect the prevalent 'fad' plants of when they were built.

I'm trying to make my front yard mostly maintenance free -- shrubs and lawns and trees.

The backyard will be my gardening spot.

Our 60 to 90 day growing season is almost here!!!

Don't blink.

No comments: