Saturday, April 3, 2010

Bah, Humbug. I-Pad.

I've fallen behind my one book per week reading pace I set for myself, by about 2 books.

On the other hand, I have increased the pace of my reading which was the real point of the whole exercise.

**********

Speaking of books, I was in the Open Book yesterday, and before I knew it I was carrying around about 8 books.

Thing about going into other people's bookstores, they always seem to have books you don't.

Pretty silly.

Not like I can't find enough to read in my own and my wife's store.

I put all but two of the books back.

Doug Peabody asked if Tina was my sister. I knew that Doug and her had worked together at Great American Plant Company -- and you're a real Bendite if you remember that place.

I told him about Tina's death.

Interesting. I always thought Doug knew who I was....but maybe not. Then again, this is a good thing, if he doesn't remember me from the early 70's and those bad old days....

**********

I have a couple of weird little superstitions.

First of all, let me explain that I'm the worst basketball player ever.

Your 8 year old son could beat me at basketball.

Strike that. Your 6 year old daughter could whip me.

Actually....a 6 year old tribal girl who's never seen a basketball would be doing slam dunks on me.

So when I throw a piece of trash at the garbage can, I always....always miss.

If I don't miss? Bad luck.

Same thing, if I drive to work and everyone clears out of my way and I get nothing but green lights and I find the choicest parking space?

Bad luck.

It's a bit of the -- knock wood, don't jinx it mentality.

Crazy as it sounds, I just see it as a reminder that not all luck is good, and things don't always go my way, and ....watch out.

**********

The new I-Pad has a Marvel app, which apparently, you know, actually Works.

So we come face to face with the future.

**********

A comic publisher, Checkers, has severed it's distribution deal through Diamond. Alleging, among other things, that Borders Books is so far behind in payments that they aren't getting paid in a timely manner.

Others --- off the record -- dispute this.

Thing is, if you publish comics or graphic novels, it's pretty risky to drop Diamond, which is more or less the only real distributor for comic shops.

Speaking of Borders, they managed to re-up their loan, so the bankruptcy I've been expecting for a year or so may have been avoided.

Another note; a game retailer who was dabbling in comics, was ready to sever it's ordering from Diamond.

Ditto my comment about Checkers. If you don't buy comics from Diamond, don't even bother to try to sell comics....

**********

2 comments:

dkgoodman said...

You're afraid of Karma debt. :)

Duncan McGeary said...

Hah! I like that.

I am, of course, opposed to all forms of debt....