Friday, April 16, 2010

Keeping the faith.

Despite a truly horrible ten day stretch in this month, I'm keeping the faith. In fact, I'm sort of doubling down.

We are close enough to summer for me to go ahead an bulk up my books and games.

Games, especially, I've really upped the ante. I turned my doorway table over to games yesterday. (Now that the weather is good enough to start putting a used books table onto the sidewalk, again.) I stacked Settlers of Catan, Munchken, Ticket to Ride, and Carcassonne on top and under the table, so that its the first thing customer see when they walk in the door.

Which opened up enough space for more board games on the shelves.

I have a row of very impressive 90.00 to 100.00 boardgames (Twilight Imperium, Warcraft, Rune Wars, etc.)

It's nice to have the resources to stock the store the way I think it should be stocked, even when I have an occasional stretch that really isn't supporting it. I'm saying, I think, that this is good stuff, and it WILL sell, and by god I'm going to get enough of it for you to notice, folks!

I sometimes think willpower is a big part of being a small business owner. If you're going to let yourself retreat whenever things don't go your way, the retreat will turn into a route. You have to know when, in the face of fire, you need to attack instead.

Of course, I have summer coming which will forgive a certain margin of error. There are two times of year when you can take on a bit more risk -- just before summer and just before Christmas.

I'm making yet another game order in a few days, which will totally fill out that section. I'm determined to never run out of the main games.

Next step: Books.

1 comment:

Duncan McGeary said...

Faith rewarded.

We just had two huge days in a row, which at least has pulled us up to last year's level.

It's possible with a strong finish we might slightly edge out last year, but I'm not expecting it. Normally, the second half is slower than the first half.

Games, especially, have been doing well.