Friday, April 2, 2010

Beards of our Forefathers..

Had the UPS guy in wearing shorts, and a heavy jacket. Now, that's Bend weather.

Err....that was so yesterday. Today, he'd need to add snowshoes to the ensemble, and this afternoon, probably a snorkel.

***********

Selling plants in Central Oregon is a great business. You sell them in March to all the newbies, and then you sell them in May to all the locals AND the newbies....

Same types of plants, twice!

**********

I'm not sure I can stand the old-foginess of my beard. I may not make it to summer, without trimming it.

"I have dream, where all men have a beard.

Where men are not judged by anything but the length and beauty of their beard.

I have seen the mountaintop,

I may not get there with you....

But I have looked over,

And I have seen the Bearded Land."

**********

Bought a big screen T.V. -- and a month later, they're selling 3D T.V.'s.

Bought a laptop -- and a month later, they're selling I-Pads.

**********

1090 foreclosures.

Ouch.

Somebody correct me if I'm wrong, but aren't a whole lot of balloon payments yet to come?

I know that our second mortgage (once upon a time, a Home Equity Loan) was a trap -- which we will be able to fortunately escape -- and it was signed at the peak of the whole smear -- about 2006ish. So, five years of low interest, no principle payments, coming due in 2011ish.

Adding a mortal blow, I suspect, to a lot of wounded people who were talked into similar loans.

Countrywide -- bastards.

Yes, I know people are responsible for what they sign.

Still.....Countrywide -- bastards.

**********

A funny poll over on the comic professional's website: Someone asked if digital comics would be "good for business."

Amazingly, it was evenly split yes/no.

Then someone had the brainstorm to post to "RETAILERS" only; 10 to 1 -- No!!!

Apparently, most of the publishers and creators like the idea, most of the retailers hate it.

Imagine that.

2 comments:

cableguy said...

Dunc,

Based on your comments I believe you're confusing KOHD with KBNZ. KOHD had a full news staff, high end studio and produced a daily news show that competed head to head with KTVZ/Fox. KBND pipes in news from KOIN in Portland and has mimimal local production - just a news minute that's inserted at various points during the day. They also had a local TV ad sales staff and management. The economic downturn has affected the ad sales market and a fallout of this was that the market could not sustain the operations that had been added. The cutbacks and consolidation are a consequence of this still challenging economy. No doubt many people have been affected by these and the many other businesses that have cut back or closed.

I wouldn't fret too much over the HD vs 3D thing. As when HD was first introduced it will likely take time to harden the technology and to have enough content to make it worth the investment in a new TV. Then you can put your current TV in another room and get a spanking new HD set for your main viewing area. None the less, I hear ya! Things move faster and faster and it's hard to avoid this feeling of purchasing "yesterday's technology" anymore.

Duncan McGeary said...

Oops,

Just goes to show I'm a blogger not a newsguy.

I'm going to retroactively remove that part of the post because it's so wrong. But leave the comment,if you don't mind....

Thanks,