Friday, May 16, 2008

Step One

When I first designed the new store layout a month or two ago, I had planned on getting bookcases from Office Max that were 25" wide. But they discontinued carrying them, apparently. We were able to order a bunch of 28" wide cases from Staples, which have been stacked at the back of the Bookmark, my wife's store, which she has slowly been building.

I looked back over the plans, and realized that I could do about 3/4th of the changes I wanted if I could spring 4 of the smaller bookcases from Linda. (Actually, I need 6 but no matter how I measure, I can't find two more cases to steal.)

So last night, after closing, Linda volunteered to build the shelves if I did all the book moving and sorting. Even though I had measured the space several times, Linda pointed out the wall thermostat, which threw a monkey wrench into my plans.

O.K. Time to remeasure. But Linda doesn't have a tape measure.

Before we even start, I feel stymied.

So I have a bit of a fit, stomping around the store swearing up a storm. Finally, I throw myself on the couch, cross my arms, and say, "I don't even want to do this."

Linda just looks at me mildly, and says, "I be in the back the store making bookshelves...."

After stewing for a few minutes, I get up and sheepishly ask for a foot long ruler, which I use to mechanically measure. I figure out a solution, and we're on our way.

Four hours later, we've extricated the four shelves and replaced them, in the process moving around four other shelves and putting the books back.

When it comes to reorganizations, ignorance is bliss. I used to start these little projects with nothing more than enthusiasm and a notion, and find myself with a huge, stressful mess, which would eventually sort out and be an improvement. But each time, my enthusiasm was a little less, my planning a little better.

I used to have the urge for major changes every 6 months or so; nowadays, I can usually hold off for a year or so. But I know going in that it will be a hassle and stressful.

I wish I could just wave a magic wand.

I feel that periodic changes are absolutely necessary to rejuvenate a store. One of the things I noticed most about failing stores is how few changes they make in response to changing circumstances. It's like they are stuck; frozen in the headlights of change.

I'm sympathetic, but I know you can never get too comfortable. I think, in fact, you should question everything you do on a regular basis.

Linda is much less predisposed to making changes, but her business is a more stable one than mine. In fact, she has found a business where steadiness and predictability is an asset.

You don't want to make too many changes too fast -- moving, for instance. But a sort of slowly, constantly morphing attitude is not only best, but suits my own inclination. Especially changes that don't require my being dependent on anyone else.

I just wish it would come together a bit more smoothly.

No comments: