Sunday, May 4, 2008

So THAT's what happens!

So this is what Free Comic Book Day is supposed to feel like!

We've been doing it for several years, but this the first time we've had a real response. Nothing like being covered in the local paper, I guess. Of course, wouldn't you know it, this was the year I cut back on how many I ordered,. Fortunately, I had plenty of good stuff left from previous years.

Patrick tells me it was getting a bit skimpy toward the end of the day, but people were O.K. even then, commenting, "We should have come in earlier..."

That's what impressed me the most: the positive vibes. Everyone seemed happy, even with the long lines. A couple of times I tried to get people to move along, but really it was better to just let the pressure of the crowd do the job. No complaints, lots of smiles. There was just something in the air.

Next year I'll be tripling or quadruplicating my orders; it's always nice to have a few left that I can put under the counter to give to kids throughout the year.

And our customers rewarded us with good sales. Not a record day, perhaps, but it may well have been a record day for May.

It's so rare when a promotion works so well. Free comics, no strings attached, is just the right kind of thing to do. Felt good.



Haven't seen the Iron Man movie yet. Probably tomorrow. I have to see these movies in self-defense. This is the usual conversation:

"Have you seen Iron Man yet?"

"No."

"Oh, it's really cool...." and they they proceed to tell me all about it. They feel compelled to tell me all about it, even when I tell them not to. "Oh, I'm not giving away anything, but...." Argggh.

On the other hand, if I say, "Yes, I really liked it," the conversation ends with smiles....

No comments: