Thursday, May 15, 2008

The Store Makeover.

I've decided that -- instead of a dramatic Sunday night make-over, I'm going to spend a couple of weeks worth of evenings doing 90% of the changeover to the store myself. I do this for the sake of everyone's sanity. I'm worse than the stereotyped housewife moving the furniture around over and over again.

Half the time, I don't know how it's going to look until I do it -- and then I completely change my mind.

I also spend a whole lot of time sitting on the floor and leaning against the wall mulling what I want to do, trying to visualize.

And finally, I know that when I move stuff around, I can put it back together again myself. Like a game of concentration, I'll remember where I put most of the material, saving me much effort and worry about where everything was (mis)placed.

I figure by the end of the month, I'll have consolidated all my trading cards in one section without losing any real display space. I'll have about 2.5 times more bookshelf space devoted to 'new' books. I'll have the tops of all those bookcases to display about twice as much boardgames. I'll have two shelves against the wall to display all the 'designer' toys in one consolidated space. And the store should look slightly less cluttered and crowded.

The magic of ergonomics.

I'll fill in the new books and boardgame sections by the end of summer, in the meantime taking the opportunity to display way more of the games and books I already have face out. (I'll be interested to see if that helps sell them.)

But I will need help moving a couple of the biggest fixtures at about 4:00 this Sunday afternoon. Jason? Adam? Can you give me a call, RSVP? I'm not doing the pizza thing, Jason, because we're probably talking half an hour of moving, and I want to spend as much of the rest of the evening as possible moving stuff around by myself.

In fact, I'm going to be downright rude about kicking you out when I've used you up. O.K.? with that?

So, a couple a strong fellows on this Sunday, May 18th, at 4:00 p.m.

See you there.

2 comments:

Jason said...

I'm off this weekend to Portland for my sister's graduation. Originally, we were supposed to be back Sunday morning, but now that I've made other plans for that day, dad's telling me we might not be leaving until sometime that afternoon. When I asked him if we'd be back in Bend before 4:00, he said "Maybe, but don't count on it."

So, in the event that I'm not back, I guarantee Ariel will be down there in my place (might be better anyway; I think she's a bit stronger than me ... all that weight-lifting in high school). She's got the day off, and she offered. Of course, if I do make it back by four I'll be there myself.

No worries about pizza, or about kicking us out when we're done. I can't imagine anyone's going to be offended.

natakamani said...

I will be there, I promise. And neither the lack of pizza or kicking out offends in the slightest!