Wednesday, March 19, 2008

What a load of jawboning in the Bulletin today. The city has it all under control; tourism rides to the rescue; the youth vote will pass the BAT.

Yeah, right.

Really, you get the sense that no one knows what going to happen, they are just starting to realize they better have some 'fall-back' positions in place in case it all goes to hell.

And they have the ninnies of Wall Street as examples. Stocks go up 400 points? Huh?

Anyway, it's time for me to take a step back and just look at my own situation without all the outside information. Usually the more info the better, but all this superficial blather is fogging up the mirror.

What I've come up with so far.

1.) the downturn in sales has almost everything to do with the economy, not the product. This is actually a bit of relief. Usually, big drops have everything to do with the product, not the economy. There is a floor, I believe, the the economy. With product, there sometimes is no floor.

So I don't believe that I'm looking at 50% or 60% or 100% drops like can happen when a fad busts, but more like 20% or 30%.

2.) there is still time to get my store in better shape; clear away bills, moderate costs, etc. All this jawboning may just be holding off the inevitable, (which may be it's purpose, while the insiders clear out, leaving the less wary holding the bag.) I've got to weather the next three months, try to get ahead of the curve for once. Summer will be better, probably, and then a short span until Christmas. Should be able to negotiate the pitfalls.

3.) this is a different situation than I've ever seen before. I bought the store at the bottom of the biggest recession of my career, in 1984, and I'm not really kidding that I think it's sometimes best to open or buy a business at the bottom -- you have no where to go but up (or out). It goes along with the idea of 'growing a business'; starting small and modest, taking your lumps with less on the line, and then growing.

The other two 'official' recessions, I barely noticed, either because I was in the throes of rapid growth or rapid decline, due to product fads.

4.) For once in my career, my store is fully stocked. I've managed to avoid even spot shortages so far. No one who knows what they're talking about can accuse my store of not 'having anything...' It's like having a huge reserve of fat.

5.) I'm on my own. I always am, but situations like this really bring it home. I have to trust my instincts, and ignore all the rapid building around me, the new stores, the new owners.

Had a couple of conversations with new or potential residents yesterday morning, and after they left I had a sense of wrongness. Then I figured it out; I had sounded like I was saying the old days, with all my pals, was great, but now I feel out of place.

B.S. Funny how the mind plays tricks. I never felt included. I've always been a loner. I've always felt as though downtowners have always looked askance at me and my business (though I readily admit this may only be in my head, and at least partly my fault for not trying to join in.) Indeed, if anything, I feel more accepted nowadays. So the town growing, well, it really hasn't matter all the much to me and my business. Not relating all that well to 150k residents ain't all that different than not relating all the well to 20k residents. I need to get off that kick.

So, this is pretty much new territory for me. If you read this blog, you know that I love analogies and parallels. But I'm not sure what to compare this with. So I fall back on my instincts, which are to be careful.

It is much, mush easier to gear back up to full speed if I'm wrong. It's twice as easy to just start buying again, than it is to try to start cutting after the fact. So far, I've managed to gauge it pretty well; each time, I thought I was overreacting, it seems to fit the circumstances almost exactly.

So nevermind the 'happy talk' news. Try to see things for the way they are.

8 comments:

Duncan McGeary said...

I may not seem like an optimist. But I am -- terribly. Which is why I try so relentlessly to instill discipline into my thinking.

I'm almost always caught flatfooted when things turn down. I always think I've figured it out, that I'll avoid problems.

My wife calls me Wiley Coyote, because I always believe that this time I've bought the Acme kit that will catch that pesky Roadrunner, and I am always surprised when it blows up in my face.

So I try to look at business with the illusions stripped away. Filter out the noise. Think for myself.

Then I factor in a 5% drop for the innate optimism, and another 10% as tribute to Murphy's Law, and then another 5% for just the sheer darned cussedness of life.

Amazing how often that gets me close to the real situation.

Duncan McGeary said...

I've been trying to figure out what I'm hearing in all this jawboning.

I think its the tone of exasperation. Exasperation with the critics, exasperation with reality for not conforming to their views.

Exasperation that all the naysayers were right.

We're going to hear the "who could have foreseen?" refrain a whole lot in the next year or so.

The exasperation is going to turn to outright anger.

Too late.

tim said...

People, now, are still in the "stunned" stage. What I'm hearing is mostly, "wait, what?"

The typical local newspaper reader has been mercilessly set-up. It's been downright cruel.

No amount of bubblegum and wire can wrap up a coherent and useful world-view from the stories you get from The Bulletin. You're actually worse off if you read that, because it contradicts the evidence you get from real life.

The way to survive is to do what you're doing. Act defensively for a while.

I'm an optimist myself. I think the economy will pick up, at least nationally. It's only Real Estate I'm pessimistic about. Of course, that make the local picture grim for a few more years.

Duncan McGeary said...

Or an even better word; peeved. There is a peeved look in their eyes, as though someone has just told them the Easter Bunny isn't coming this year.

What makes it worse, is that -- deep in their hearts -- they knew it wasn't real.

And yet, some of the anonymous snipers on the bubble blogs still sound smug and arrogant.

It's a short step from peevishness to anger. I'm completely astounded that it has taken so long to develop.

Another argument, among the many others, never to get involved in government -- way too much 'group think.' You could be an independent thinker going in, but I suspect you'd be co-oped rather quickly.

tim said...

"Another argument, among the many others, never to get involved in government -- way too much 'group think.' You could be an independent thinker going in, but I suspect you'd be co-oped rather quickly."

That's probably true. I suspect no matter who the next President is, he or she will get in there, be briefed on the economy and security, say "oh shit," then do pretty much what the current guy is doing. Maybe while wrapping the actions in different words.

Duncan McGeary said...

I'll split the difference with you, Timothy. 'Stunned' among those who up to now weren't paying attention, 'peeved' among those who should have known better.

I think the purpose of the jawboning has shifted in the last week or so from actually trying to influence events through some 'secret' positive vibes, (which is like trying to build a sandcastle that will hold back the ocean), to
buying time.

Buying time, so they can scurry back to the ramparts and exclaim, "Who could have seen this coming!?"

Duncan McGeary said...

So the stock market went up 400 points yesterday, and drops 300 point today?

Why does that seem manipulated?

Anonymous said...

Duncan, Yesterday or the day before you declared a moratorium on bubble reporting. I have noticed this week a huge influx of newbies, and they seem to think that old-timers beating up on newbies is the norm, the following is an attempt to define who is who on these pathetic blogs that only talk about beer, RE, comics, sex,

*

We have a definition problem here that was brought up yesterday.

1.) Newbie - someone new to this blog

2.) Sucker - someone NEW to Bend that bought RE since 2000

3.) Visitor - a renter that's been here for less than ten years, that's +90% of this pathetic blog

4.) Old-Timer - Someone that has been in Bend for over ten years, and own their house.

5.) Crooks - People that came here in the last ten years to sell RE, or MTG, or whatever they sell, cars, ....

There are only TWO old-timers here that I know of buster & duncan, even BEM was gone for quite awhile and then came back.

HOMER our god, leader, father-figure, and penis-icon, is a visitor-renter like 90% of the people on these blogs.

Someone last night made an assertion that it was hard for 'newbies' to get established, or that this board was about old-timers condemning new-bies? What I'm defining as SUCKERS.

A newbie is someone NEW to this pathetic board. Brucey-Pussy is a visitor-renter, if he had bought since he arrive ( two years ago ) he would be a sucker, we have no suckers that hang out here.

90% of this blog are visitor-renters, 5% old-timers, and the rest are liars. I'm also including Marge in the 5% old-timers, as she owns her home, and has been here in Bend awhile.

The 'CROOKS' are all over at BENDBB, they also RUN the BULL&SORE.

Keep the above, and print it, for future referral.

Welcome to Bend.

Tim doesn't own his home either so that makes him a visitor-renter.

There has NEVER been a single person here ever that has admitted to being a visitor-sucker.

NEWBIES, your quite welcome, because MOST likely your renters, or living in your car, and thus you have MUCH in common with everyone here.

The fact is that old-timers that knew Bend back prior to the 1990's are a tiny minority here. Make NO assumption that this blog is about old-timers condemning suckers.

It's mostly about jealous renters condemning crooks.