Saturday, March 1, 2008

An update on my correspondence with Ramos, who was the cover artist to my first two books, and his wife Allison, author of Goofyfoot Gurl.

"Hi, guys,

Got Goofyfoot Gurl into the store and read it. Very nicely done. I like the theme of tolerance and not being judgemental. And of course the art was the best part! (of course, a 55 year old guy in the high desert probably isn't your core audience....)

I've put all four volumes in the Young Adult fiction, (mostly prose, mixed with some graphic novels) right next the Minx line.

So.....

Have you found them?

I didn't want to bug you, but it really would be great to have them hanging on the wall at my store.

Please let me know."

Duncan

"Hi Duncan,


Ro's away, so I'll answer for him. He thinks one or both paintings is at his parents' house in Connecticut, since he's looked all over the place here with no luck. Both pieces were very important to him, so I know they're stored someplace. We're going to CT for Easter, so if you don't mind waiting until then, he'll send images to his folks and see if they can recover them. If they do, Ro will let you know right away.


Glad you liked the Goofyfoots, and thanks for stocking them. I agree; the art is lovely. I don't care at all for manga, but the hard-edge hieroglyphic quality of the genre has been softened to a soft and breezy watercolour that lends an appealing California vibe to this series. As for the writing, I was told to think "Amalie", the French movie with Audrey Tatou. It was tough, because I hate the film. So I just tried to think of ways to make the characters appealing despite the "role model" I was given. My favourite character is Ray, the wealthy and handsome son of the surf shop owner. I pictured him as a straight Rupert Everett; gorgeous, glib, wry, seemingly without feeling - but with a secret soft spot. I'd love to see new volumes devoted to one character at a time, telling their back stories, that sort of thing. We'll see.


Hope we can help with the paintings. It'd be nice to have them "live" with the author of their inspiration!"

Allison


"Allison,

Of course, the writing was the best part! (Since you are married to an artist, I just assumed you did both.)

I very much liked the flashback nature of each character's introduction. Of course, I'm assuming you've read Fun Home. The elliptical nature of that book totally worked for me. I suspect it's not an easy way to carry off a plot, but she did it well. In fact, I considered that the best book I read in 2006.

As far as the paintings are concerned. I of course still want them. But it's been 28 years or so, so a few more months don't matter."

Yours,

Dunc

1 comment:

Jason said...

I hope this pans out. Those paintings really need to be in your store someplace.