Tuesday, July 3, 2007

When I read the article on the private bus line from La Pine, it more or less confirmed that -- if there is a need, someone will try to fill it. Someone could do the same thing from Redmond, maybe Sisters, I thought.

The Bulletin took a slightly different tack. To them it was evidence that the government needed to step forward and fill this need.

There was a straightforward acknowledgment that the BAT is a disaster: "...inadequate to the task it's being asked to perform and costing potfuls of money to boot."

Very interesting that our city manager, Andy Anderson, recommended that the city council study the future of the BAT. And not surprising that the council hasn't wanted to open that can of worms. I give the city manager a bit of props for having the courage to admit that the system is out of whack.

Does anyone know of a public bus system that is privately financed? Has it been done anywhere else? Perhaps with public grants, etc? Because the amount of money that is being thrown into the system seems like enough for private enterprise to make money.

Meanwhile, the city council was given first looks at the Les Schwab complex for Juniper Ridge.

Here's where I lose my membership in the old reprobate club of Bend. I don't really think the city council had any choice but to accept Les Schwab. I don't believe that it necessarily sets a precedent: as a small businessman I often give a smokin' deal to the first customer; both as an example, and as a chance to recoup the cost. Anyone who comes later can be told: "hey, you where standing on the sidelines when Schwab came forward..."

I believe we have no choice but to try to make these things work. Now that the BAT is in place, we need to tinker with it until it's at least not bleeding money. Same thing with Juniper Ridge, the Tower Theater, and the parking garage.

I was against the parking garage because I didn't think anyone would use it. I was wrong, and I'm sorry now that the council didn't have the guts to build another level or two.

Nothing gets done if we wait for the perfect opportunity.

That doesn't mean that the council hasn't done a horrible job of oversight and control, or that they shouldn't have their feet held to the fire, or that they shouldn't try harder next time to get it right.

1 comment:

IHateToBurstYourBubble said...

Now that the BAT is in place, we need to tinker with it until it's at least not bleeding money.

Hmmm... I have to disagree here Dunc. It's actually hemorrhaging money now. We have to get it to the point of merely bleeding money. Dang... if it was just bleeding money, it'd be alright!

What did the Bulletin say? Riders paid 12 cents of every dollar spent... not counting gas, employees, buses, rent, utilities, tire repair, maintenance... did I say employees? Oy. That is called "hemorrhaging" money.