Thursday, July 19, 2007

I was going to let what the SOURCE said about my "classic rant" go without comment. I really don't want appear defensive.

But street closures are an important issue, and if no one else wants to take the bull by the horns, I guess I'll do it.

I've said before that I thought street closure events were sacred cows. I more or less avoided the subject except in very general terms for the first six months of my blog. When I finally did speak up, sure enough it blew up in my face.

The Third Rail of downtown politics. It won't make me popular among the downtown merchants who are convinced that street closures are good for business. It won't make me popular among media who make money off the advertising for these events. It won't make me popular with politicians who think they are doing downtown Bend a favor. It won't make me popular in town organizations who invite these events. It won't make me popular among the actual event organizers who make profits off these events. It won't make me popular among the vendors who come to Bend and participate in these events. And it won't make me popular among the people who come to these events and have fun.

About the best I can hope for is that there are a few other downtown merchants who aren't thrilled by street closures. Small business people tend to be an independent lot, who really want to do their business without interference. If you look up preceding paragraph, you can see why they are unwilling to say anything.

First let me say, I am not opposed to events in the off-season, or the off-hours. Events at night don't really affect me (I don't know what it does to the restaurants, they'll have to speak for themselves.) If they want to hold a festival in Sept, or Jan. or May, more power to them. I don't think I would even object to Sundays. Traditional events such as the Christmas Parade and Tree Lighting and the 4th of July Pet Parade are wonderful happenings. I participated in my first Bend pet parade when I was five years old.

I'm also not opposed to events that occur in public venues -- parks and government buildings. I think Munch and Music, the Saturday Markets, the Farmer's Markets, the Art Hops are great.

What I object to is the continuing and ongoing frequency and expansion of events. I object to closing streets at the peak season, (July, August and December), on the peak days, (Fridays and Saturdays), and the peak hours (10:00 to 5:30.)

Each event on its own may be worthy; but when is it too many? Closing the streets in downtown Bend in July and August and December, with the vague unprovable notion that it 'helps' bring down customers the rest of the year, is the exact equivalent of asking a restaurant to close on the Friday and Saturday night so that it helps business on Monday or Tuesday.

Any healthy small business survives on its regulars. Tourists are great, and may make the difference between profit and loss, but you pay your rent with the regulars. I can't tell you the number of times I've had a regular say to me, "I saw the streets were closed and just kept going."

Many of the downtown merchants seem to automatically accept the premise that street closures will bring people back. Is there any proof of this? Has there been any reliable surveys? What I know, after 24 years of owning my store, is the usual drop in sales on street closures is about 20-35%. In summer, this can be significant. I work my store almost every day, and if we are accept anecdotal evidence, or received wisdom, my own experience is that I get very few people back who found me because of an event.

In fact, I wonder sometimes if we are just training people to come downtown ONLY during special events.

I don't want to step on any one's fun. But if your neighbors had a loud, raucous party that kept you up until 4:00 in the morning, you'd grin and bear it the first time and the second time, but if it was every weekend? When does their having fun infringe on your ability to live your life?

Again, I'm not asking that all events stop. But I guess I would like to see a freeze on new events, or expansion of hours. The bike race has always begun at 7:00, hence the Twilight title. 1:00 is not Twilight. Yellow tape warning aways drivers at 10:00 in the morning is a very different thing from Yellow Tape at 4:00 in the afternoon. The difference between making a little money or no money at all.

I would ask everyone thinks I'm overreacting to realize that most downtown merchants are paying some high rents. I should properly have called the vendors "cheese-making, wine-fermenting, clowns," because it wasn't the people who attend these events I was really talking about, but the outsiders who we invite for a nominal fee to soak up the atmosphere that the rest of us create year long, to skim the cream, to benefit without putting in the long hours, and high costs, or everyday business.

For someone outside of this to tell me, "it's good for you", is a little like pushing the soldier into the trench, and saying, "we're behind you all the way..." I work every day in my store, and I'd like to benefit during the peak seasons instead of seeing my business diverted to others. I don't believe these events are really put on for our benefit; they need our acquiescence to put them on, so they tell us what the newer stores want to believe.

But more and more events are not the answer.

So, yes. I call for a freeze on the number and size and hours of street closures. A freeze that will hold through the next incarnation of downtowners and the next city council. A binding freeze.

Is that too much to ask?

11 comments:

Duncan McGeary said...

I accidentally deleted Bilbo's comment, as follows, in full.

"Wow Duncan, you said it all. Bravo.

We need this declaration to go far & wide.

I think all the good soldiers need to cut and paste this post,and make sure that everyone in Bend or Oregon for that matter knows that the line in the sand has been drawn.

You have clearly stated the issue.

Enough is Enough. There is always talk about diversity, but an integral part of downtown is small mom & pop business. Let's remember that Bend is about the people of Bend, and not Public Relations Firms and National Real Estate Brokers.

Bend Oregon Restaurants said...

I think you're making some great points, but I wanted to ask about the slow and the peak months that you mention because I have no idea. Are those slow and peak months the same for all of the businesses downtown (excluding restaurants)?

So if the city holds the events in what you call slow months, will that just piss off one of the other businesses?

Also, When will I be able to pick up a "Vote for Duncan" button/sign at P1 or P2?

-BOR

Duncan McGeary said...

I always opt out of commenting on restaurants, because I just don't know anything about their model.

Retail-wise, absolutely, we do best in July, August and December, and I suspect that's true of everyone downtown (and in Bend as a whole).

I figure I can be an advocate for my store, and any like-minded stores. But if someone else feels differently, which I know they do, they don't have to say anything at all, cause really they're in the driver's seat.

The typical comment I hear is, "Sure sales are slow on those days, but it brings people downtown." As if that were the common wisdom, received from on high and unquestionable.

At best -- AT BEST -- I think this is a wash, and we're working harder and dealing with more damage and wear and tear to get it. Personally, I don't believe these events do anything but put a misleading rosy glow to downtown -- which it ALREADY has. We're overselling it, by now.

Bend Oregon Restaurants said...

"...but it brings people downtown."

I can totally see your point about how this is a silly comment to make. Sure people are downtown but they are attending whatever event is going on. I went to the Bite and usually make all of the seasonal festivals. Not once did I go into any shop for any reason while I was down there. I don't even recall looking into any shop windows. Maybe I'll stop to read a menu at a restaurant be we're not talking about them.

I've had friends and relatives with me (tourists) who didn't even think to go into any of the shops while we were at these events.

Once I did ditch the wife while she wanted to listen to some band that I didn't like and went to have a pint at Deschutes. But that goes into the restaurant category.

So my friends, my family, and myself are a couple examples of locals and tourists who do not support the local shops during these events, that's not why we went downtown.

I have not once been at one of the events and decided to go into any shop for any reason other than using the restroom.

I think the next time there is an event, I'm going to come down there, skip the even, and buy a comic book. Count on it.

Anonymous said...

Retail-wise, absolutely, we do best in July, August and December, and I suspect that's true of everyone downtown (and in Bend as a whole).

*

I know people who do Hotels & Motels, and they do almost all their business in July & August.

IHateToBurstYourBubble said...

Also, When will I be able to pick up a "Vote for Duncan" button/sign at P1 or P2?

Ahhhh yes. All is going according to plan. First, plant the seed. Then let it pick up speed through a series of well-worded blog entries that appear to be focused on "real estate", then have my vast minion hordes spread the word, and finally overthrow The Establishment by getting my own maleable "Puppet" on the inside.

And finally.... RULE THEM ALL WITH AN IRON FIST! Bwhaaaaa haaa haaa!


And finally pop the RE bubble, if there's time, yada yada yada.

Jason said...

The typical comment I hear is, "Sure sales are slow on those days, but it brings people downtown."

I'm reminded of one particularly classic episode of South Park, in which the boys are forced to deal with a group of gnomes who are stealing underwear. For those of you who don't know it, I'll paraphrase (it's been a while since I saw it, so forgive any inaccuracies):

The 'Underpants Gnomes', when asked why they were stealing undergarments in the first place, would turn to a chalkboard or dry-erase board, and list off the three steps in their master plan.

"Step One: Steal Underpants."

"Step Two: . . . . ."

"Step Three: Take over the World!"

They just -knew- somehow that stealing underwear was the right and sensible thing to do, and that it would lead them to better things, but they didn't understand how it worked. Nor did they seem to want to. They just gleefully accepted that Step One would somehow lead to Step Three.

Whenever I hear a quote from someone, saying that the street closures hurt business but bring more people downtown, I think of those gnomes.

"Step One: Close downtown Bend off, creating a slower day for our businesses."

"Step Two: . . . . ."

"Step Three: Make more money!"

Also, I do hotel work myself, and I can vouch for that. Other than our busy summer months, everything we do is just damage control as far as making money goes.

Duncan McGeary said...

Funny.

Downtowners will now always be underpants gnomes to me.

Jason said...

Ha, I'm right there with you, Duncan. Ever since I started seeing quotes from the other business folks downtown, that 3-step plan has been running through my head.

They really were so gleeful in the show!

Duncan McGeary said...

When I sign the lease, come see me Jason.

I'm not comfortable, though, with pulling someone away from an existing job. Maybe you could do both?

Jason said...

You needn't worry; I'll keep my hotel job for the time being. I can easily cut down my hours a bit without any trouble.

Truthfully, though, I'd been intending to leave by the end of the summer anyway. It just felt wrong to leave them short-handed this time of the year, even with as little as they've done for me. Loyal to a fault. It sure looks good for future employers, though.

Anyway, I'll get in to talk to you as soon as the lease is taken care of. I'd ask you to keep me posted, but there's really no need with this blog.