Sunday, March 2, 2014

House of Cards -- Spoilers.

This show got under my skin.  I could barely watch the last 5 episodes.

SPOILERS:




Every single decent or even half-way decent character in this show is crushed.  At first you think the dynamic sociopathic duo might have a soft spot for the 'little people' but no, in the end they too are used and tossed away without a backward glance.

In this world, the more ethics you have, the more you are crushed.  Obliterated.  The less conscience you have, the higher you rise.  The slightest weakness, the tiniest humanity is used against you.

Apparently the Chinese are watching this show in great fascination, convinced this is the way we really are.

I watched the original British House of Cards, and I remember the main character as being more of a charming rogue, a devious schemer.  I can't remember if he actually kills anyone, but somehow he wasn't quite as repellent.

Every time one of the Underwoods looks as though he or she are weakening, it's a ruse.  Except for one moment at the last.  Claire Underwood starts to weep, and I'm thinking -- oh, no, here it goes.  But no -- she weeps for all of Ten Fricken Seconds.  Then she's back to being cold-blooded murderous bitch Lady MacBeth.  Somehow that measly ten seconds made it even worse.

All through the show the Underwoods express love for each other in the most formal, distant way -- as if they have a pane of glass between them even when they are hugging.  Again, at the last -- all is revealed, though it's hinted at all the way through.

At one point, I turned to Linda and said, "I think Claire is going to seduce the young Secret Service agent."  The very next episode, I said,  "I think Frank is going to seduce the young Secret Service agent."

Well -- I was right.

I almost didn't want to watch the last five episodes.  I hated this show -- all 25 episodes.  Every time we'd finish one, I would turn to Linda and say, "I HATE these people."

Linda, "Yeah, me too."

"Um...ready for another one?"

"Absolutely."


No comments: