Saturday, January 26, 2013

Somewhere in my itty bitty brain, an idea is developing.

Drank a little red wine last night, and wrote some sparkling paragraphs.

But it's a little like pooping diamonds.  It hurts the next day.

I probably needed a little inspiration.  I was doing a workmanlike job on the last three chapters.  But I wasn't really 'feeling' it.  So this was nice.

I'm not saying my sparkling paragraphs are actually better than my workmanlike paragraphs.  More in the way of a change-up, a little tonal texture.  Plus, I love it when I can riff like that.  But riffing too much, I'm not sure that's such a good thing either.

During the morning, I wrote a chapter that I wasn't sure going into it that I needed; that is, I saw a way around it.  I'm trying to drive straight to the ending, so I contemplating skipping the chapter.  But I'm also trying not to stray too far from the original blueprint  -- at least in the first draft.  (That's a bit of a change, by the way -- that I would rewrite it, but it's gotten complex enough that that's going to be necessary.  Not a quick throw it up on my blog, like FREEDY FILKINS.)

Anyway, it turned out that an important plot development popped up, so my instincts were right.

I think the biggest thing that has happened over the last two  years is that I'm just trusting my subconscious more and more.  When the time comes, the idea is there.

No comments: